Random Of Doom!

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Started learning Hungarian 2 weeks ago for the hell of it
Good luck with that. My family speaks Hungarian and I can understand a bit, but my tongue just doesn’t do those “ngy “ sounds. Really not like any other language.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good luck with that. My family speaks Hungarian and I can understand a bit, but my tongue just doesn’t do those “ngy “ sounds. Really not like any other language.
Jó napot! Awesome they can speak it!

I’ve found some interesting similarities. Like the word for “driver” is “sofőr” pronounced “show-fur”. Sounds just like “chauffeur”

Their word for “orange” is very similar to Spanish “naranja”

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've occasionally dabbled in Romanian, which is supposedly a romance language with Latin roots like Spanish or French.
So far I've not been able to tell 🤷
Not that it matters since I can't even get to grasp the sentence structure.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've occasionally dabbled in Romanian, which is supposedly a romance language with Latin roots like Spanish or French.
So far I've not been able to tell 🤷
Not that it matters since I can't even get to grasp the sentence structure.
It’s a Latin based language with Slavic influences

There’s an interesting video of news casters speaking all the Romance languages and Romanian is the only one that’s “what the heck is that”

There’s also one for Germanic languages. I’m sure English is the odd one out for that one

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, much like Flemish is romance, but so heavy on the Germanic influence you could hard guess.
I do think it's the Slavic structure and congugation that throws me off, though. I've heard that historically Romanian had more French influence, which I would be able to pick out easily, but that suffered under the Soviet russification of last century.

If you have links to those videos, I'm totally interested.

Just remembered that I saw something once that claimed that the Voynich Manuscript had been partially translated by Hungarian father/son team of literaries who thought they recognized it as similar to a now dead rural Hungarian dialect.
I should look into that again, see how it's going.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah, much like Flemish is romance, but so heavy on the Germanic influence you could hard guess.
I do think it's the Slavic structure and congugation that throws me off, though. I've heard that historically Romanian had more French influence, which I would be able to pick out easily, but that suffered under the Soviet russification of last century.

If you have links to those videos, I'm totally interested.

Just remembered that I saw something once that claimed that the Voynich Manuscript had been partially translated by Hungarian father/son team of literaries who thought they recognized it as similar to a now dead rural Hungarian dialect.
I should look into that again, see how it's going.
Romance:

Germanic:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
annoying. My wife grew up in Romania, with a grandparent from Hungary. She pick up all the latin languages so easily, yet having German parents means she knows that language spectrum well. And well.. Yeah working in an international environment..

I hate it how I can work in Brazil for 5 years, she joins me once and speaks better Portuguese. Unfair.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
annoying. My wife grew up in Romania, with a grandparent from Hungary. She pick up all the latin languages so easily, yet having German parents means she knows that language spectrum well. And well.. Yeah working in an international environment..

I hate it how I can work in Brazil for 5 years, she joins me once and speaks better Portuguese. Unfair.
I took 2 years of French in highschool, barely passed the class, then never used it until last winter when I worked a seasonal job doing customer service for a Canadian lingerie company.
I've already forgotten everything I remembered, but I remember one or two things I never learned.🤪
Mostly, Canadian French IS NOT French French. Very different sentence structure.

Had a similar issue with Arabic. My family spent a year living in Ryhad when I was about 9 years old. Picked up allot, but never had occasion to use it. Deployed back to the Middle East twice while I was in the army, but what I remembered after a decade didn't help much because there's a big difference in accent and dialect between Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Iraq, at least for my brain.

Top Bottom