Settling in with a method to grow BC pre-bonsai

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
After 3 years of trying just about every method that have been discussed here I have found the one that I am most comfortable with and see the fastest growing results for growing bald cypress. Once the tree is about 1/2 inch in diameter, I transfer it to an Anderson flat with mostly inorganic soil (pumice, lava, DE etc..) then set it on top of a tub filled with the cheap cow manure compost I found at the big box store. Normally I put them in undrained tubs and keep a water level. If I live in zone 6 or less, I take them out of the undrained tub and put them on the drained tub in the winter.
This way I get the tree to obtain as much nutrients as it wants and grow fast while keeping my main roots shallow. Once in a while I just have to lift the flat and trim the roots to keep them from getting too large.
Granted my data sample is small. While I've grown just a couple hundred BC seedlings so far, my last batch of 30 seedlings in flats grow amazingly fast and have been the ones most easy to trim roots etc.. From what I've seen of root development, I will have excellent nebari and should have no issue moving them from the flats to bonsai pots.

Last edited:
After 3 years of trying just about every method that have been discussed here I have found the one that I am most comfortable with and see the fastest growing results for growing bald cypress. Once the tree is about 1/2 inch in diameter, I transfer it to an Anderson flat with mostly inorganic soil (pumice, lava, DE etc..) then set it on top of a tub filled with the cheap cow manure compost I found at the big box store. Normally I put them in undrained tubs and keep a water level. If I live in zone 6 or less, I take them out of the undrained tub and put them on the drained tub in the winter.
This way I get the tree to obtain as much nutrients as it wants and grow fast while keeping my main roots shallow. Once in a while I just have to lift the flat and trim the roots to keep them from getting too large.
Granted my data sample is small. While I've grown just a couple hundred BC seedlings so far, my last batch of 30 seedlings in flats grow amazingly fast and have been the ones most easy to trim roots etc.. From what I've seen of root development, I will have excellent nebari and should have no issue moving them from the flats to bonsai pots.
6 months later. I am liking what I see. Tons of fine roots and trimming them is easy.
EBD2E429-52BC-4D3C-85AF-18320BF26DD6.jpeg
168A95A4-4156-4E27-A414-B9F22F1F533E.jpeg
C8253FDD-8441-4B54-AFFB-C4E54023EB9A.jpeg

Nice work! I reckon this could be adapted to a lot of species just changing the moisture retention based on what they prefer. I have recently put three young black pines together in their pumice air pots sitting in a bed of heavier stuff. So far so good.

They all look really good.
CC5CD097-3AE9-49D3-874C-DDBB5651BD1F.jpeg
5324E4CE-E402-43DA-A144-85772CFE71D0.jpeg

Interesting methods, will have to give this a shot.

On the last pic, there are two crossing roots right at the trunk. Will you try to separate or cut one?

Interesting methods, will have to give this a shot.

On the last pic, there are two crossing roots right at the trunk. Will you try to separate or cut one?
I just trim it off. BC grows roots easily.

Back
Top Bottom