Shimpaku Juniper - styling thoughts?

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Picked this tree up for $60 on a Facebook auction. Trunk is a bit straight for my liking but I thought it was a good deal and something I could work on.

Now, the problem is I have a TERRIBLE time looking at raw stock like this and seeing a potential bonsai inside. Any ideas from you folks?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 109

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Well I'm a noob lol. But, I think I would lose one of the branches on the right. Probably the lower one. I would then make the larger branch to the left and back as the trunk. Maybe plant it deeper for awhile to get higher root growth and then prune off the bottom part of trunk to eliminate some of the straight part.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it wasn't recently repotted....

I would just wire the whole thing and start creating a tree with it all...

By the time you are finished....
You will find a direction.

It looks like most of the thick branches can come off on time....

Leaving you with the one gently moving center trunk....

The foilage may be high....
But after while I think that could be dope.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or layer the thick branches and make a forest.

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Or perhaps just live with it and let it speak to you. Patience has its place.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
One of the two trunks on the left or right. The middle seems to lack character.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Or let it go for a couple more seasons and have an even better base.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am in favor of letting the tree kind of grow wild for a while until you have it set in your mind what a Shimpaku Juniper bonsai looks like. You need to look at some videos by Bjorn Bjornholm and Ryan Neil working on some big Junipers. You need to recognize that there are certain characteristics that are present in all first rate Juniper bonsai. Once you start seeing these kind of things you can start recognizing directions in your tree. The first and main thing at this point to consider is that all first rate Juniper bonsai have a good deal of dead wood demonstrating the struggle with nature. Look in all the bonsai books, magazines, publications and web sites; try to find a Juniper that does not have this feature. That means that you do not cut off unwanted branches, you just disable them in some way so that the bones remain.

I know you have said that you lack the ability to recognize style possibilities so, you are looking for advise from the rest of us horticultural perverts. The best and most pleasing results are obtained from within yourself. I am hoping to help you develop an eye for this stuff.

It really is dumb sounding at this point, but many beginners look at the tree styles defined in the books and then look at their tree and then try to chose some style that they like and then think that maybe they can make there tree look like this tree here on page 129. We have all been there. Or worse; they have a tree like the one you have and think well; I bet I can make it into a cascade, beginners love cascades and wind swept trees, two of the most difficult styles to pull off successfully by experienced artists and growers but the most often chosen by the newbie. Here is the problem; the style is chosen and imposed not negotiated. The good bonsai are the product of a relationship between the tree and the artist. This is what you need to recognize and develop. It takes time but you need to start with the artistic research first.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the way the tree on page 129 looks.

Top Bottom