Ski / Snowboard thread

10-brink

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
You can always tell a skiier by how excited they get for winter.

I've skied since I was a kid and recently took up snowboarding as well. Two years ago I got in a pretty bad ski accident, broke my wrist (anyone wanna see pics?) and could barely walk for a few weeks. Quitting never crossed my mind. I love skiing and I want to move closer to the mountains --Whistler would be my dream.

Any other skiers, snowboarders on here? what's your home mountain?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I used to work at a place in California called bear valley for the winters in a row. I got to snowboard 80-100 days a year... Sadly those days are gone as I got a torn a crossed ligament of the knee. I don't snowboard more than two days a year now in Santiago at Valle Nevado.

Reaction score
Going on ski holiday with my school in Austria from 6 to 10 feb 2017, first time I'll be on skis/snowboard ever. Guess when the Noelanders Trophy is.... :(:confused:

Getting pretty syked nonetheless!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sunday river Maine..... I spent most of my life on a skateboard and snowboard. Now that my son is 11 and taken interest I'm all about it again. He pulled me out of retirement. I guess these things are for life @just.wing.it
I have put skateboarding on the back burner now too, got a baby girl in the house now... maybe she'll grow up to thrash the pavement too! I'd definitely jump back in!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I have put skateboarding on the back burner now too, got a baby girl in the house now... maybe she'll grow up to thrash the pavement too! I'd definitely jump back in!
If you drop in the random skate video on occasion while mommy's at work it'll work wonders. My son was learning to Ollie by the time he was 8. Now he's almost 12 and dropping in and wheeling the fly box and long Manny pad, so proud.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think anyone in the northern climates has to have a winter sport. I am an avid alpine/cross country skier, snowshoe, really anything to get out and enjoy. @10-brink check out Kicking horse resort in Golden,BC if you are looking for an amazing ski spot. A good part of the mountain used to be just for heli skiing, generally Warren Miller type stuff! The list of resorts in BC. and Alberta's rocky mtns are endless! I would prefer interior mountains, due to drier lighter snow conditions. I believe @wireme is a ski bum as well.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think anyone in the northern climates has to have a winter sport. I am an avid alpine/cross country skier, snowshoe, really anything to get out and enjoy. @10-brink check out Kicking horse resort in Golden,BC if you are looking for an amazing ski spot. A good part of the mountain used to be just for heli skiing, generally Warren Miller type stuff! The list of resorts in BC. and Alberta's rocky mtns are endless! I would prefer interior mountains, due to drier lighter snow conditions. I believe @wireme is a ski bum as well.

I've made a turn or two. Just googled myself to see what popped up, this one kinda covers it. Well, only kinda.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/magazine/Higher-Ground/

There's a video link at the end of the article, I never knew about it, it's pretty cool.

MPimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've made a turn or two. Just googled myself to see what popped up, this one kinda covers it. Well, only kinda.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/magazine/Higher-Ground/

There's a video link at the end of the article, I never knew about it, it's pretty cool.

MPView attachment 123586View attachment 123587View attachment 123588View attachment 123589
EPIC!!! Awesome article, and video! So if I end up back out west, I know who to contact for some back country adventures!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@wireme hahaha best telemark time, in jeans. legend!!

Yep, it's funny how that story took on a life of its own. It was my first race and I knew the competition would all be in their speedy fruit suits. My ski pants were pretty baggy and flappy so I threw on some jeans, less wind resistance. I guess it worked, people were laughing until the times came in. At the time I thought it was just for fun, never would have guessed it would lead to 10 yrs racing the World Cup circuit, lots of fun, travel and even my very own fruit suit!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yep, it's funny how that story took on a life of its own. It was my first race and I knew the competition would all be in their speedy fruit suits. My ski pants were pretty baggy and flappy so I threw on some jeans, less wind resistance. I guess it worked, people were laughing until the times came in. At the time I thought it was just for fun, never would have guessed it would lead to 10 yrs racing the World Cup circuit, lots of fun, travel and even my very own fruit suit!
Ha, ha! In college I always skied in jeans!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like Walter Pall knows his way around the mountains on skis pretty good too. Like not just your average skier kind of skier but seriously good at it.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EPIC!!! Awesome article, and video! So if I end up back out west, I know who to contact for some back country adventures!

Worth a try, if you were to happen by at a point in time where my sled, truck and trailer were all actually functioning then I could probably show you a hill or two in these parts.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Powder's not too good in Missouri, but when it snows, we hit the streets!
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

However, we try to make at least one trip out to Colorado to hit Keystone/Breckenridge. My favorite run is at Breck, it's called Wacky's Chute. Here's a view from the top:
IMG_0052.JPG

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes I do some teaching or coaching. Here's a funny method I made up that usually has surprisingly good results to help people become stronger skiers. It's always fun anyways and sometimes pretty entertaining to watch. Definitely not CSIA sanctioned but who want to ski like a ski instructor anyways;)!!

The Incredible Hulk technique.

Very simple, whatever technique and body positioning you've been taught or are working on forget it, put it out of your mind completely. Try to imagine yourself as the Incredible Hulk, nothing can knock you down and you've got the strength and power to handle anything you ride into.

That's it, have fun, a helmet might be a good idea.

Do that for a run or two every now and then. Think and practice technical stuff some of the rest of the time and the hulk will automatically begin to merge into technique.

Top Bottom