Slanting Copper Beech

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fagus sylvatica purpurea, this is a first styling of a cheap, field grown, nursery plant. I had initially wanted to try a raft with this material but after some thought, ive gone with a slanting style tree, it has some ideal characteristics with a long anchoring root which ive left exposed...

The tree arrived as a balled root ball
15-3360xo.jpg

IMAG3897.jpg

I decided to remove the hessian and just lump the root ball on a China mist slab, pretty much a slip n wire in job with minimal disturbance, so kept a lot of the field soil and packed and mixed in some good free draining soil..

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

When the tree becomes established i can remove this obtrusive wire

IMG_8518.jpg

Some roots to work with, in time these should gain some character
IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8543.jpg

A Hawthorn i photographed recently is a dead ringer
IMG_8435.jpg

A leaning Oak tree on a slope
LeaningOak.jpg

Just need to build up the ramification over time. looking forward to the leaf colour that will add some interest on my balcony, one of the reasons i wanted a copper beech.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup!

And I really enjoy the inspiration pictures. Great format!

This is a fantastic explantion of "listening" to a tree!
Great placement and use of material!

Somebody's bound for Noelanders!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great planting....

Thanks for the update!

Sorce

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fagus sylvatica purpurea, this is a first styling of a cheap, field grown, nursery plant. I had initially wanted to try a raft with this material but after some thought, ive gone with a slanting style tree, it has some ideal characteristics with a long anchoring root which ive left exposed...

15-3360xo.jpg

IMAG3897.jpg

I decided to remove the hessian and just lump the root ball on a China mist slab, pretty much a slip n wire in job with minimal disturbance, so kept a lot of the field soil and packed and mixed in some good free draining soil..

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8543.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

LeaningOak.jpg

Just need to build up the ramification over time. looking forward to the leaf colour that will add some interest on my balcony, one of the reasons i wanted a copper beech.
I think I'd have to have a go at that hawthorn, how big is it?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

15-3360xo.jpg

IMAG3897.jpg

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8543.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

LeaningOak.jpg

Well done. The tree, placement and pot work very well together....complementing each other. I think you've created something exciting looking. And......That Hawthorn, the dead ringer, looks like a Cobra snake in the field.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fresh spring leaves are out on my Copper Beech, took some snaps earlier :)

IMG_9755 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9746 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9740 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9739 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
The fresh spring leaves are out on my Copper Beech, took some snaps earlier :)

IMG_9755 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9746 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9740 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9739 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Hey Bobby, I love this tree!...................................Wouldn't you know, I've found a number of those uncollectable things over the years. Oh well.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure I would remove the anchor of wire holding it firmly in place. So many trees are displaced during strong winds. This ensures it stays at least with its pot.

Nice looking tree by the way!
I agree with leaving the anchor wire in place. If mine, I'd likely substitute an earthy brown color wire cover, like the color of the roots, so it would not attract that much attention....it would still do the anchor job very well.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks, thanks for the comments

@Steve Kudela Don't tempt me buddy, i'd get in trouble! as it goes, i couldnt find the Hawthorn yest, I'm going back again today to take more pics of trees in spring. im going to see if i can buddy up with some of the park workers too, there is loadsa material in that park, its VAST! Richmond Park is the largest Royal Park in London covering an area of 2,500 acres.
That anchor wire will remain for a while anyway, i will try getting some wood stain on it, so its less obscure...

@Vin It is a little mucky yes, as i left some old field soil in, to help keep everything together and to stop the slab drying out too quickly. however, i did change a little of the top soil recently, so not as mucky at the first images....the little bit of field soil in the mix, has probably helped the tree establish quicker, next potting i can change it completely.
IMG_9753 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You did something really nice with some average material. Nice artistic composition. I like the pot alot as well.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

@Steve Kudela Don't tempt me buddy, i'd get in trouble! as it goes, i couldnt find the Hawthorn yest, I'm going back again today to take more pics of trees in spring. im going to see if i can buddy up with some of the park workers too, there is loadsa material in that park, its VAST! Richmond Park is the largest Royal Park in London covering an area of 2,500 acres.
That anchor wire will remain for a while anyway, i will try getting some wood stain on it, so its less obscure...

@Vin It is a little mucky yes, as i left some old field soil in, to help keep everything together and to stop the slab drying out too quickly. however, i did change a little of the top soil recently, so not as mucky at the first images....the little bit of field soil in the mix, has probably helped the tree establish quicker, next potting i can change it completely.
IMG_9753 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Preparing a millstone for my neck.........LOL

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Richmond Park; I may have said this in the past but I've been there many times. My wife is from Chiswick and when we visited her parents we would often times go there. It's a very nice park. However, I think Kew Gardens was my favorite place to visit.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Vin, I havnt been to Kew garden yet, maybe thats something i could do this summer. Richmond park was really lovely today, ill share some snaps here...

Here's that Hawthorn with a helmet for scale

IMG_9866 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9882 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9885 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9870 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9871 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Hornbeam-anything is possible in nature!
IMG_9919 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9917 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Hornbeam or Beech raft
IMG_9912 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Couple of stags
IMG_9911 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

two lovely ladies on horseback
IMG_9904 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

and an Old Oak

IMG_9812 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:
Top Bottom