Species identification ? Do you know?

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
So I'm back scouting areas that people are using to dump their trash for possible collected material , and I found this little guy but I don't know what species of plant he is .
Does anyone have any ideas ?IMG_0631.JPGIMG_0635.JPG IMG_0636.JPGIMG_0629.JPG

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I'm leaning more towards a "turkey oak" noticed the hair coming from the buds .
That's just my guess

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd have said Elm looking at the bark and Ash looking at the buds. I read @Rid - we don't have Hickory here, but they're compound leaves too, right?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
To be honest with you it looks like one of those waste of time trees beginners often discover in the woods that have roots so deep they cannot be harvested without an excavator.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Hickory might be the answer ,
But trying to save a tree where people are dumping their trash would never be a waste of time even for a beginner like myself ,

And if I'm not mistaken isn't there a Way to dig A trench around the tree and cut all major routes ,then feeling in with good soil to promote root growth .
So that way the following year you can come back and Dig it up ?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hickory might be the answer ,
But trying to save a tree where people are dumping their trash would never be a waste of time even for a beginner like myself ,

And if I'm not mistaken isn't there a Way to dig A trench around the tree and cut all major routes ,then feeling in with good soil to promote root growth .
So that way the following year you can come back and Dig it up ?

It is talked about but truthfully, and I am not trying to discourage you, practices like this are considered by people just getting into bonsai and even tried but seldom successfully. It take follow up a year latter and usually by that time you will have moved on. Go to a nursery and find a nice Juniper or if you like indoor stuff a Ficus and have a go at something a bit more predictable. Sometimes these trees in the woods will not root as reliably as predicted or expected, or imagined. Saving a tree from destruction is not necessarily the goal of bonsai unless you want to bonsai an entire forest.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd have said Elm looking at the bark and Ash looking at the buds. I read @Rid - we don't have Hickory here, but they're compound leaves too, right?
Whoops, did not look at the location. I Hickory based on the compound leaves as you thought.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I do appreciate your opinion
It is talked about but truthfully, and I am not trying to discourage you, practices like this are considered by people just getting into bonsai and even tried but seldom successfully. It take follow up a year latter and usually by that time you will have moved on. Go to a nursery and find a nice Juniper or if you like indoor stuff a Ficus and have a go at something a bit more predictable. Sometimes these trees in the woods will not root as reliably as predicted or expected, or imagined. Saving a tree from destruction is not necessarily the goal of bonsai unless you want to bonsai an entire forest.

Your opinion is noted ,
And I will take it into consideration ,thank you.
But I have been doing this for a couple of years now And it is true that some die but there are also some that have survived .
I would rather try to save 100 and only have one survive ,then never have tried at all

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saving a tree from destruction is not necessarily the goal of bonsai unless you want to bonsai an entire forest
I agree.
And not all trees are suitable for bonsai.
Why dig up a tree that you don't even know what it is?
Saving trees is a nice thought but in the end this tree really has nothing going for it except that it's small right now.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saving trees

I'm having a hard time with this part....
I mean....
It's a great excuse...

But we found at least a hubcap in dudes pic....

Where's all the trash that makes this area unsafe for these trees to live?

Is it trash or compost they are dumping?

Lol!

Whatever "Story" one has to tell themselves!;)

Sorce

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I was wanting to get identification before I dug this tree up ,,,,
there's potential in every tree .

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with this part....
I mean....
It's a great excuse...

But we found at least a hubcap in dudes pic....

Where's all the trash that makes this area unsafe for these trees to live?

Is it trash or compost they are dumping?

Lol!

Whatever "Story" one has to tell themselves!;)

Sorce
I apologize sorce .
I'll try better next time

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While it may be technically true that there is potential in every tree, it really depends on how much time and skill you are willing to invest, and how creative you are willing to be with the design. Also, "defects" like big leaves, long internodes or a difficult growth habit will have to be corrected or lived with.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
While it may be technically true that there is potential in every tree, it really depends on how much time and skill you are willing to invest, and how creative you are willing to be with the design. Also, "defects" like big leaves, long internodes or a difficult growth habit will have to be corrected or lived with.

That is a great response ,thank you very much.
I will definitely keep it in mind .

Top Bottom