Split trunk Taxus Baccata

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
English Yew, this is cheap garden centre material i picked up for £5 a few weeks ago..its actually a multi trunk, one of the trunks had been chopped off a long time ago, so its actually now a twin trunk tree that ive styled to look like ONE massive trunk that's been split by a lightening strike or heavy branch breaking away....
IMAG3796.jpg

IMAG3797.jpg

IMAG3798.jpg

IMAG3799.jpg

IMAG3801.jpg

IMAG3802.jpg

IMAG3803.jpg

IMAG3804.jpg

IMAG3805.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_8095.jpg

IMG_8100.jpg

IMG_8104.jpg

The_Llangernyw_yew.jpg

Many of the ancient Yew trees in England become hollow over time and the trunks become fragmented sometimes breaking away into two or even four separate pieces, this is what ive tried to mimic in my design..
First styling-early days

In time the inside will be stained to look like rotted wood and the edges Lime sulphered..

Last edited:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's very nice, i hope the wound will heal nicely. Did you also check the nebari under the ground?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's very nice, i hope the wound will heal nicely. Did you also check the nebari under the ground?

Hi Cypress, its hard to tell how much nebari is there, the soil is very dense, but ive raked off quite a bit and not sure there is much more under there....i will get a better idea at potting time..

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Cypress, its hard to tell how much nebari is there, the soil is very dense, but ive raked off quite a bit and not sure there is much more under there....i will get a better idea at potting time..
It's wise to check the nebari before you do styling :)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks, time for a little update on this one, the tree has been growing strongly and the deadwood is starting to take on some character, i can almost imagine walking through the fragmented trunk:)
IMG_1656 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1653 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1650 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1645 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1647 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1644 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Will be left to grow and some styling over the winter, update later in season.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi all, this one grew well this summer and ive been tweaking the image over the last few days....
IMG_2537 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

I then decided to uncover more of the base, removing superfluous roots/dead and rotted roots, i then discovered which of the major roots were feeding various parts of the tree and the main branches
IMG_2587 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2636 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2660 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2660 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_2659 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
will leave it be until spring, still needs a bit of growth in some branches fitting with the image of a veteran Yew tree, eventually will be thinned out again, will get more separation, reduce and build foliage pads. in spring will go into a deep bonsai pot...will keep updated as it develops.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi folks, time for a little update on this one, the tree has been growing strongly and the deadwood is starting to take on some character, i can almost imagine walking through the fragmented trunk:)
IMG_1656 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1653 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1650 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1645 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1647 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1644 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Will be left to grow and some styling over the winter, update later in season.
Nice work you've done. The aged feeling shown in that third photo in really well done and should even get better in the future seasons. Mighty fine!

Mark5Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Really enjoyed reading this...... In fact so much so that I dropped by my local garden centre today and picked up a 50% off twin trunk yew, in the winter sale, to have a go at this style myself. So many thanks for the inspiration. Any more recent updates?

Top Bottom