subdtrate

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is what you want:
https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/all/products/clay-king

The best pre mixed Bonsai soil available at probably the best price (or clowellse to it) you can find it for in the US... he also sells components- pumice, Akadama...

This is for BONSAI TREES, not trees in training, right? IOW, established bonsai in Bonsai trays, not trees in nursery pots you want to grow out... because if you are still growing them out, they need to be in large pots with regular old nursery soil... no need to drop $40 for a couple gallons of soil when all you should be using is good old fashioned dirt! Large pots with potting soil or ground growth yields big trunks... coarse bonsai mix in small trays yields dense compact root systems and less/ slower/ smaller growth.
That should be nearly the last step in the training process, not the first! I think too often people new to bonsai with young trees that need lots of growth dump them into bonsai pots with bonsai soil, and the trees suffer, die or just flat out stop growing when growth is exactly what they needed! I have been guilty of it for years. Still do it sometimes when I get too frogy... or when I have small trees I want to KEEP REALLY SMALL, like mame sized...
Well, sounds like I may need more ggowth should U prune the roots and start shaping while growing? Or just let it grow and don't prune?

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, its still in the mail it supposedly roughy 6" tall.
Is Mimical Gro quslity soil or a substandard product with a well known name,?
What soil would you recommend if I need to keep growing?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No, its still in the mail it supposedly roughy 6" tall.
Is Mimical Gro quslity soil or a substandard product with a well known name,?
What soil would you recommend if I need to keep growing?
Miracle grow is usually fine... re the roots, sounds like you just have a tiny little thing coming... Juniper don't need to be reported that often. If it is in a decent container might my need to be reported for a couple years. Post pics when you get it... where did u order this from?

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Miracle grow is usually fine... re the roots, sounds like you just have a tiny little thing coming... Juniper don't need to be reported that often. If it is in a decent container might my need to be reported for a couple years. Post pics when you get it... where did u order this from?
Off Amazon the pics others had posted looked promising.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes , we'll see how tiny it is when it arrived I am not expecting much.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes , we'll see how tiny it is when it arrived I am not expecting much.
We all have to start somewhere.
Most people do start with these trees then graduate on to other bigger stock.
The thing to learn first is to learn how to properly care for a tree in a pot. Placement,watering,fertilizing etc.
The other thing to learn is to accept losses. We all kill trees or have killed trees. Some of us more than others.
We just need to accept that trees are going to die.
Good luck and post a picture of that bad boy when it arrives.
We will help.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For crying out loud, if this your first tree and it's tiny, why are you trying to mix your own soil in bulk? Just buy a bag of prepared bonsai soil from a reputable online dealer and be done with it. By trying to save money mixing your own, you are spending more than a small bag of prepared soil costs, additionally you are endangering the health of the tree you're buying. Penny wise is sometimes pound foolish...

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For crying out loud, if this your first tree and it's tiny, why are you trying to mix your own soil in bulk? Just buy a bag of prepared bonsai soil from a reputable online dealer and be done with it. By trying to save money mixing your own, you are spending more than a small bag of prepared soil costs, additionally you are endangering the health of the tree you're buying. Penny wise is sometimes pound foolish...
Just planning ahead

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
think im going to experiment with this material called fluorite.. its for fish tanks. I figure why not.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you need good draining with ability to ratain some moisture than functionally, Why would you need more than two materisls?

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
50% Turface MVP and 50% lava rock. I buy both at a landscape supply store. 50# Bags retail for about $15 each, but ofter they have broken/torn bags that I can get for under $5. Provided great drainage and moisture retention.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One isn't good enough, gotta hsve some visual contrast, but functionay no, I haven't found one that's good at both

Top Bottom