Syzygium I practically stole

Snorlax99

Yamadori
Reaction score
Found this beast at a nursery sale for the equivalent of $17 and I just couldn't say no. I'm reasonably sure it's a Brush Cherry, I've seen enough of them. Just about everybody uses them for hedges in South Africa.

The current plan is to leave it be, as we're entering autumn down here in Cape Town. Repot in September and do some root investigation/work, then let it recover. Once that's all behind me, choppy choppy/air layer and continue with layers and base. The diameter at base is about 40cm (17 inches) and it's easily 5 feet high.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions for long term shape and cuts! Thanks all!

Nice tree!

Is Bonsai your goal with this specimen?

If so, I’d aim “large”..

And make my cuts concealed from front view... as scars that large (IF Brush Cherry is known to scar. I, personally, have no experience with them) will take a GOOD few years to heal over.

Someone will have more specific information fer’ya.

🤓

Nice find here! Excellent potential with that awesome trunk. Any updates on this beast?!

I was just gifted a brush cherry and the foliage/new shoots look just like the one on yours. The one I have is fairly young and was sold as a ready-made bonsai (already in a bonsai pot), but the trunk is tiny, almost laughable. Think I'm going to repot in a planter this summer and let the trunk grow out for a few years.

I chopped it down this spring to the height I want, now I'm just letting it flush until next season, then I'll start selecting branches for the canopy. Probably going to go broom style with this one. I'll update with photos as soon as I remember to take them.

Back
Top Bottom