Taking a Bonsai Break

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey friends,

After some thought, I've decided to take a break from bonsai for the time being. I'm at that point in my life where I've got a lot going on, and I don't want my trees to be affected by the change. That being said, I'm getting out of the hobby, for the time being at least. My main hobby is photography, and that's really starting to do well, so I'd like to focus on that.

If you're interested in purchasing any of the trees I've posted here over the years, shoot me a PM. I'm not leaving the forum or anything, just dipping out of the hobby until I can possibly get back into it in a few years.

Ryan

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Quitter!!
JK (kinda)... Why not combine the two and take pics of trees man?

I am going to assume that dulled thud I just felt through my iPad was the reverb of you face palming yourself as you suddenly realized how brilliant my idea was, right?

I'd love to throw you some bones for trees, but all I have seen you post is pics of tropicals and that isn't my thing... You do have some pretty dirty Ficus though. Good luck in whatever endeavors you pursue Ryan!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Quitter!!
JK (kinda)... Why not combine the two and take pics of trees man?

I am going to assume that dulled thud I just felt through my iPad was the reverb of you face palming yourself as you suddenly realized how brilliant my idea was, right?

I'd love to throw you some bones for trees, but all I have seen you post is pics of tropicals and that isn't my thing... You do have some pretty dirty Ficus though. Good luck in whatever endeavors you pursue Ryan!

I'm more into the landscape photography side. I would definitely be willing to take pictures of trees for people if they'd like. Matt Ouwinga has been trying to get me out to his place for a couple months now. One day Matt!

Good luck Ryan

Have fun in college, but not so much fun that you forget to study ;)

Thank you, though I'm done with college! I'm the ripe age of 23 now and I'll have to move out at some point.

I've just recently started feeling bad about this hobby, in the sense of what we do to our trees. I had read somewhere that someone called bonsai "torturing" trees. What's everyone's take on that?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm more into the landscape photography side. I would definitely be willing to take pictures of trees for people if they'd like. Matt Ouwinga has been trying to get me out to his place for a couple months now. One day Matt!

Thank you, though I'm done with college! I'm the ripe age of 23 now and I'll have to move out at some point.

I've just recently started feeling bad about this hobby, in the sense of what we do to our trees. I had read somewhere that someone called bonsai "torturing" trees. What's everyone's take on that?
There's no nerve endings in there. We only keep them "young".

Aaron

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My wife's words? Hm, the gardeners and the landscapers prune the trees too. For size, shape, vitality... The foresters grow a part of the woods for wood (read money)... they can cultivate (read kill) the areas of original woods because they are gonna grow oaks or beeches...

I feel better keeping my trees small and trying to imitate what the nature can do.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

There are apparently some on here that do just that. Disappointing:(!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bilbocannon is making a landscape right now!

I think it would be cool to take pics of miniature landscapes in a way they look real.

Clubbing seal pups is mean.
But we do that too don't we!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Redwood Ryan,

grass is mowed, hedges clipped and Bonsai outlive their cousins in the wild.

Why not spend some time studying Design.

On our side the old Indians [ India ] would have suggested this --------- land [ size matters not, just you should like it and be able to use it.]
Next house - so you can't lose it in a divorce.
Then if you feel complete and at harmony with yourself - wife
How many children can you educate without breaking the bank.

Always keep a hobby/s as you get older.
Best of life.
Good Day
Anthony

*Followed the above - works and now I am retired with comfort.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
There are few top notch bonsai photographers. The have a love for bonsai and a love for photography and more so the processing of the raw shots they have taken. We are privileged here to have probably the best in the US if not the world, Joe Noga. Few other names come to mind. What a great life it would be to travel the country and the world taking pictures for clients publications of great bonsai and great bonsai shows. Oh to be 23 again and have the world at my feet.

God be with you.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

For some reason I thought you were going off to college from your earlier posts about learning to cook.

I disagree with the "bonsai is tree torture" thing. Are we manipulating them? Yes. However trees can and do thrive as bonsai when done correctly. Do you feel fishtanks are torturing fish? Or keeping a pet dog and caring for them as torturing dogs?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I disagree with the "bonsai is tree torture" thing. Are we manipulating them? Yes. However trees can and do thrive as bonsai when done correctly. Do you feel fishtanks are torturing fish? Or keeping a pet dog and caring for them as torturing dogs?

That's a good point. I had always thought about the fact that we give our trees the right amount of water, feed them, and treat them when sick. Some could say they get better care than they would in the wild.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, I can't imagine trying to take care of an extensive bonsai collection while in college, or shortly after. I was moving around too much at the time, changing jobs, etc. Hopefully you'll still have "the bug" when your life settles down some. In the meantime, maybe you can take up something less time consuming like reef tanks :)

As for torturing trees...trees in nature are "tortured" all the time. Lightning strikes, windstorms, insect and fungal attack among others. Trees live their entire lives (sometimes hundreds of years or more) in tiny rock pockets, barely eking out an existence. So what we're doing to them in pots is nothing more than what they endure in the wild. And as far as I can tell, trees don't have the same type of nervous system that animals have, so they don't feel "pain", even though they do react to stimuli.

If it turns out someday that we find otherwise, I'll be saddened to learn that my trees were shaking in fear every time I approached them with a pair of scissors or cutters.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A

I guess if you don't take proper care of your trees, then you should feel sorry for them. Or collect thriving wild trees and kill them due to lack or knowledge or skill, then yes. Otherwise, no. If you are worried about "hurting" a tree because of pruning roots/branches, then your are in for a rough life. Pretty much everything you will use on a daily basis will come from living resources harvested for your personal gain. If you think about it, pruning a tree will be low on the list of reasons for guilt.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I suppose you could relate pruning and trimming trees to a haircut that we humans get occasionally.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had read somewhere that someone called bonsai "torturing" trees. What's everyone's take on that?

Be sure you get informed and make your own thoughtful logical decission. This is true for everything in life.

I enjoy abstract photography myself. Good luck. I suggest playing with film too. Canon AE-1 (B/W film) and the plastic holga (Color film) make for some good fun.

PS: if Bonsai is torture that just makes it more awesome! :D

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Horse pie. I've had PETA people come into the nursery and try to tell me that crap. They're trees, I've never heard one cry. If done right they seem to respond pretty well to torture! Besides most of us care for them pretty good- once we get the hang of it.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, well, well, isn't that special?
If caring for/training bonsai is torture--hoorah!
Always wanted to be a member of a minority,
guess Sadist is good as any.

Top Bottom