The Yamadori Thread

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is one from late summer 2016, an old Yellow Cedar (Cupressus Nooktatenis), it was a stem from a intertwined, contorted cluster/clump laying horizontal (very typical growth pattern in the area it was collected). It's live vein was along the ground (against the fence) while the majority was exposed to the harsh environmental elements thus lots of aged deadwood.
IMG_1005.JPG
Will keep the lower cluster to enhance its recovery, if the upper portion recovers well, may create the lower section into deadwood. Lots of time to figure things out after a couple of good years growth. Cheers G.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Leave your mind open and observation active for opportunities not yet seen. Most people do not use material like this because most people can't see the opportunities unless they bit them on the butt.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Drug home today. We will see what happens.
IMG_20170122_165050966.jpg Eastern Hemlock
Family: Pinaceae. Genus: Tsuga. Species: T. canadensis. Binomial name. Tsuga canadensis (L.) Carrière · Tsuga canadensis range map 1.png. Natural range. Tsuga canadensis range map 4.png. Closeup view of range. Tsuga canadensis, also known as eastern hemlock

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So this is my first piece of yamadori collected last week and I don't have much confidence in it surviving but I really hope it does. Normally I'd pass on a conifer but this species is just so likeable and different, also a bit rare here in Spain.

The tree is from the Cypress family and is the only one of it's particular species called a Tetraclinis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraclinis

Not a great deal of info out there in English but they are one of the few conifers that can handle being chopped right back and can even form lignotubers, sadly mine does not have one so all I can do is hope that it responds to being in better soil.
It may not be the best specimen but it is something to play with and think it is best kept big, almost the size it is now but honestly for the moment I'll be happy if it is just kept alive.

IMG_1091.JPG

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
Can you explain the choice of the front?

Thank you.

The goal was to show the best deadwood and the Z bends on top. It will change a little bit in the future after I build more ramification and I reduce needle length.

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
Another repot. A quite crazy tree I styled with the guidance of Bjorn in Nov - 20015. The tree has amazing bends, deadwood and bark. However the base has some reverse taper because it was growing under a huge boulder. I am considering to add a rock on the left side and fix the visual problem. The right side of the root system could be eliminated. It is a big root with not that many feeders, I bent it to make it fit in a plastic pot. I hope to get it in a bonsai pot in 2019.

Ponderosa 18

http://www.chobonsaiyamadori.com/#/own

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Colorado blue spruce. I photographed the tree as it arrived in my garden last October, complete with guy wires that I was unsure as to their effectiveness. Afterwards, I removed all wires and will let it grow unchecked this year to prepare it for a complete restyling hopefully in 2018.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow. Don't know what style that might be, but it sure is interesting!
CW

CW, yes! An interesting and unusual tree. Great character and probably old as the hills themselves. After spending a bit of time with it, I think I have a good plan for the restyle. I like for this tree to be stronger however, so I will let it be for 2017.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A couple new arrivals this morning from @arcina a big ponderosa, and a gnarly gray oak. The gray oak already got itself a new pot.20170208_121529.jpg
The green tape is because there was a small Crack and I just wanted to be safe and protect it from drying. It has some gorgeous deadwood and movement.20170208_121204.jpgmy favorite part of the tree.20170208_121219.jpg
Can't wait to play with it this fall.
Here's the oak in it new pot.20170208_113614.jpg
I'm lovin the trees he collects! Both of these will get their own threads soon.

Aaron

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
2 more yamadori. One from Texas and one from NM. The first one is an Ashe Juniper. It was collected a long time ago and I almost killed it after I reduced too much foliage. It took 2 long years to get back to mature foliage. It was styled with the guidance of Owen Reich in 2015.

Ash3 Juniper 3

The next one is a Southwestern White Pine I collected in NM in Spring of 2015. It a tree that was growing parallel to the ground because the main trunk died to I assume the tree went down during a storm. It was repoted in a bonsai pot for the first time. It is set too high in the pot but I am hoping to work the roots better next repotting in 2 years. It was also styled by me in 2016. The needles are too long because I went crazy with fertilizer, I wanted the tree to backbud fast.

SW White Pine 8

Thanks

Alvaro

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
One more yamadori. This alligator juniper really shows how alligators change the color of the foliage when they are pampered. Additionally you guys can see the progression in 1 year since collection. I hope to see more alligator junipers being used in Bonsai. They are amazing trees

Alligator Juniper 2
http://www.chobonsaiyamadori.com/#/juniper

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
One more yamadori. This is a pinyon pine. I am starting to work with them and they are really amazing pines. You can get needles in the 1" range and the deadwood and bends show how strong they are. I am planning to work it in 2 guided sessions with Owen Reich in the next few weeks. I'll post and after the work is done.

Pinyon Pine 12

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice @arcina! I'm really digging Ponderosa 15 and Ash Juniper 1.

Curious why those group are not for sale?

Top Bottom