To water or not to water bougainvillea

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I recently had to re-pot my bougainvillea due to a broken pot. There were bracts just starting to push at the time of the re-potting... this was 3 weeks ago. Within the last week the leaves have started to wilt and few have turned yellow but the bracts are continuing to pop and flowers blooming. I'm assuming the the wilting is due to shock?
My questions is that I'm wondering is it best to let the soil dry out or keep moist during this period?
Should I put in shade?
Thanks!
IMG_4566.JPG

Last edited:

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My instinct would be to water "carefully" letting the soil start to dry in between. Our growing conditions are very different, of course.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My instinct would be to water "carefully"
Thank you! I trust your instincts!
I placed the pot in an area that gets dappled light… I figured the intent sunlight probably is not such a good idea.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why would you not water? Sure you water less frequently when there is significant leaf loss. But blooms need the water. Many plants you water more frequent while in bloom. I would not over water...but I would not withhold it. Though many withhold between watering to help it bloom. But you have them.

I'm pondering if I would allow it to continue to bloom. It's a stressed tree. Why allow it to push additional energy into the bracts?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Why would you not water
This is my first bougainvillea.... Read all kinds of things about watering a shocked vine. Some say keep moist others say let dry out a bit.
I'm assuming shade is a good idea.
There are bracts pushing on almost each leaf.
Think I should cut branches back or defoliate?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I personally would cut the bracts off...to save up stored energy. I would NOT cut any of the branches. I've had bougainvillea for almost three years. I've never had the leaves wither and die like that. But...keeping the leaves over the bracts if it's a stressed tree would be my line of action.

I've left them go sort of dry between waterings...but, in the summer when it's rainy...they thrive even being rained on and never going dry. Living up north...I see two bloom cycles do to the length of the sun in the sky that promotes it.

I might also inspect for pests. They will make leaves do that...and it may be that the bracts are coincidental to the leaves.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think it will be fine. Just leave it be and wait for the new growth.

Bougainvillea don't like having their roots messed with - that's probably what caused this issue. Be gentle when you repot - their roots are fine and brittle. They break really easy. They should be repotted in summer - it's generally safe once night time temps are above 60 or so. I remove a fair amount of leaves and prune before repotting. It's ok to remove those wilted leaves if you want. The tree has already given up on them - they'll eventually fall off. Cut the stem with scissors if you do so as to avoid damaging the new bud.

They are drought tolerant. Water retentive mixes can cause root rot - they grow best in a soil-less mix with great drainage. Let it dry out a bit between waterings.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Scott!
I tried my best not to disturb the roots During the repotting so we will see what happens.
I'll start with removing the leaves…

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Markyscot. Your bougainvillea just started coming into the flower phase when you transplanted it. After the bracts dry out, then the vegetative phase will come with the new leaves and shoots. If you removed all the bracts at this time, the condition will get worse and worse! Put the tree in the shady place and water as needed. It should be fine.
Bonhe

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
I think it will be fine. Just leave it be and wait for the new growth.

Bougainvillea don't like having their roots messed with - that's probably what caused this issue. Be gentle when you repot - their roots are fine and brittle. They break really easy. They should be repotted in summer - it's generally safe once night time temps are above 60 or so. I remove a fair amount of leaves and prune before repotting. It's ok to remove those wilted leaves if you want. The tree has already given up on them - they'll eventually fall off. Cut the stem with scissors if you do so as to avoid damaging the new bud.

They are drought tolerant. Water retentive mixes can cause root rot - they grow best in a soil-less mix with great drainage. Let it dry out a bit between waterings.

Weird, I've never heard that bougs don't like their roots messed with. I have brutally root chopped several without any issue at all. I have one that I have ebiharar'd three years in a row and it's perfectly fine.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Weird, I've never heard that bougs don't like their roots messed with. I have brutally root chopped several without any issue at all. I have one that I have ebiharar'd three years in a row and it's perfectly fine.

I'm glad you've had success. The symptoms the OP described sound like transplant shock. Just like that described in the reference below.

https://www.bgi-usa.com/bougainvillea-101/

"Repotting Bougainvillea
A bougainvillea blooms best when pot-bound so do not be tempted to re-pot unless you must. It is best to leave the plant in its original container until the roots have replaced all of the soil and you can’t keep the plant well watered. For example, it is not unusual to grow a bougainvillea in a 1 gallon pot for three or more years. When it is necessary to re-pot remember that a bougainvillea has a very delicate root system and a fragile root to stem connection. Handle bougainvillea with care. Root pruning is not recommended when re-potting bougainvillea – in fact, disturb the roots as little as possible because the plant might go into shock and take weeks to recover. Bougainvillea love to be pot-bound, so pot in the smallest container available for the purpose you desire. Re-pot into larger pot sizes gradually. For example, move a plant in a 6″ pot into a 9″ or 10″ pot. Several years later, you can then move up to a 14″ pot. The root system needs time to grow into each new pot."

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm glad you've had success. The symptoms the OP described sound like transplant shock. Just like that described in the reference below.

https://www.bgi-usa.com/bougainvillea-101/

"Repotting Bougainvillea
A bougainvillea blooms best when pot-bound so do not be tempted to re-pot unless you must. It is best to leave the plant in its original container until the roots have replaced all of the soil and you can’t keep the plant well watered. For example, it is not unusual to grow a bougainvillea in a 1 gallon pot for three or more years. When it is necessary to re-pot remember that a bougainvillea has a very delicate root system and a fragile root to stem connection. Handle bougainvillea with care. Root pruning is not recommended when re-potting bougainvillea – in fact, disturb the roots as little as possible because the plant might go into shock and take weeks to recover. Bougainvillea love to be pot-bound, so pot in the smallest container available for the purpose you desire. Re-pot into larger pot sizes gradually. For example, move a plant in a 6″ pot into a 9″ or 10″ pot. Several years later, you can then move up to a 14″ pot. The root system needs time to grow into each new pot."

That's odd. I have been absolutely ruthless to my bougainvilleas. Two different types, actually. I've cut the roots back to nubs and they've all flourished.

Honestly bougs are the hardest plant to kill in my opinion.

This is just my experience so don't kill your bougsters in my name.

Top Bottom