Trees from the 2016 GSBF Convention exhibit.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Paul! I'm curious, the first tree in this bunch, is this one what's left of a John Naka tree named Tora? In BT 1, plate 10. As soon as I saw that pic, it reminded me of that one. I didn't count on memory, checked the book. Even without the former top and left side branch, it does appear to be the same tree. I remember wanting to see the left branch extended a little to increase motion to the left. Thanks again.
No. That's a cali collected and styled by David Nguy.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm sorry I missed it. It feels like the Northern Show is larger than the Southern Show? Is that typically the case? There are a lot more trees...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of the northern trees are from teachers like Peter Tea, Sam Adina, Kathy Shaner and Boon.

Southern trees for years came from the tutilage of John Naka. That has mostly disappeared in the last ten years as people like Peter, and Ryan Neil, and David Nguy have filled the gaps. The North has about a twenty year lead in artistry. There is also a lot more bonsai politics in the south.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the photos!
Always nice to see one of my Scrolls.
I often wonder where these things go!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Many thanks for posting Paul, as I know that took some time and patience.......love the mother/daughter stone..... what was the last demo tree?
G

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Many thanks for posting Paul, as I know that took some time and patience.......love the mother/daughter stone..... what was the last demo tree?
G
That's a Lodgepole pine styled by Ryan Neal.

Top Bottom