What are good species for southeastern Louisiana (9a)’s summers and winters, not limited to natives or very common species?

raenstorming

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know bald cypresses, yaupon hollies, Drummond red maples, and sweetgums are great (and easy for me to access). Pinus taeda are everywhere but I’m a bit sick of seeing them. There are lots of Viburnum dentatum in my yard, along with Vaccinium elliottii and V. arboreum. I’ve had blue atlas cedars (and Arizona cypress) recommended as an alternative to blue spruces. I have Ficus benjamina 'variegata' and Juniperus procumbens 'Nana' in development and am starting Shumard oaks (probably not the best for bonsai it seems but I enjoy their leaves nonetheless), ginkgos, dawn redwoods, and jacaranda from seed in the spring (I’m down for the long game). What are other low chill hour species? I’ve done a lot of googling on my own, but I’m sure there are some uncommon species that slip through the cracks when searching. Thanks for any input y’all have!

Japanese black pines are doing well here outside on the ground in our quick freezes and grow great in the heat.

Natives: Cedar Elm, Live Oak, Texas Ebony, Boxwood, Beautyberry (Japanese have smaller leaves than American, but both are beautiful), and Crepe Myrtle

Non-natives: Firethorn, JBP and Shimpaku Junipers (both have done well for me in our limited winters in 8b), Chinese Elm, Camellia, and Trident Maple

You can also grow just about any tropical in your region, so Bougainvillea, Ficus, etc.

Back
Top Bottom