What are these bushes?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Was walking the "urban jungle" last week and came across some bushes with some interesting trunks and leaves looks to be evergreen? Or maybe it's breaking dormancy? From looking at the outside, it appears the owner was trying to eradicate the entire lot! I think there's a good chance I can attempt to collect them. Knocked on the door but no one home :)

Tried again today and an old lady answered the door! And yup, she was trying to kill them all and rid of them! Luckily she says she didn't have the money to pay for the job. Of course I assured her I'll clean the place up for her free of charge :). And I just wanted to save the bushes lol.

Do anyone know what these are? Thought it might be Azaleas but the barks doesn't look like it to me. So I thought it might be some sort of Rhododendron.

Not exactly the best time to collect, but I need to act now. Wish me luck!

Here's one. No taper, but hoping for a good nebari. Buds are breaking on this one.
Them lighter, more pointed leaves looks like another plant. Maybe a vine?
Bush1_zpskc15k04t.jpg
Bush2_zpssgbty0b2.jpg

This large one has brown leaves. Is this normal?
Bush4_zps3sztimdz.jpg
Bush5_zpsnj75uvot.jpg

This is one of the less desirable one, but to show the bark. And it looks dead. Didn't examine it but I see no leaves :(. A couple of them are like t his.
Bush3_zps0fgano0k.jpg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah yes! They where grown as hedges.

Will try to collect one or two tomorrow.

Gothe my eye one a large yew too. Gotta ask :)

Thanks guys!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Took the plunge and went out to survey them bushes. And for the better part of the morning, picked up trash and trimmed/remove dead bushes.

Though I haven't gotten to them yet, these are some of the survivors.

The long root looks out of place to me.
Privet1_zps0bsqebdm.jpg

This on caught my eyes. But upon further examination, the whole right side is dead. Appears root was undercut at the far right.
Privet2_zps95lg9rmk.jpg

I'm excited about this one! That above ground root looks very interesting to me.
Privet3_zps423ns2ib.jpg

Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This one is not a Privet. But What's stuck to it on the left is :confused:
Privet4_zpsbki1wgtg.jpg

Dug it out. That feeder root mass was growing from a patch of soil laying on top of the pavement. Didn't have to search for where the roots end.
Privet5_zpsnb0cy3is.jpg

Thought I was gonna ball up the rootball but the native soil was very light and sandy. It just falls off easily. That ruined my plan to bring back the rootball with the native soil.
Privet6_zpsxeeja410.jpg

After potting up and water. This you can call mother daughter. But in this case it's mother step-daughter. Two different trees!
Privet7_zpseic8t2mi.jpg

Can someone ID those seed pods? They can't be Ligustrum. Or are they? o_O
Privet8_zpslwo9pvwm.jpg
Privet9_zpsbf0mx0a2.jpg

Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
And a Red? Oak for good measure lol. I want to tackle this one too but might be too challenging. I will see...

A Privet is hiding behind this one too.
RedOak_zpssukic0cj.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Quite a batch of material. Good find!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks! Unfortunately, they're mostly Privets. At least they're goods size.

Do you know what's that one I collected? It's a Privet and something else attached.

That Oak looks decent also aside from the inverse taper at the first branch. But read their survival rate isn't so good :(

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
the bush with the seed pods appears to be hibiscus syriacus, Rose of Sharon.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah ha! Thanks for the help ya'll.

Now I'm curious what color flowers it produces. But shouldn't i cut off the flowers so that all the energy goes for recovering?

Weather trend for this and next month will be on the warmer side. And Feb. have been the coldest month for the past couple years.
But this one will be mulched up real good just in case.

Hope they survive my first attempt!

I'm gonna read up on best time to collect Oaks. That one interest me too.
And soil level is only about 1 foot or less before hitting stones and concrete. That'e a good thing right? Not having to dig deep?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now I'm curious what color flowers it produces. But shouldn't i cut off the flowers so that all the energy goes for recovering?

Separate it and plant it in some loose soil. Leave it as is otherwise the first year. They can be transplanted but here in Dublin, PA they take a season to get established, flowers or no flowers...

Grimmy

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The vine with the big leaves with prominent veins is Sweet Autumn Clematis.

Top Bottom