What is growing on my soil??

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I saw it for the first time I thought algae. Then it has developed into moss, but only in some three pots of many tens...

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like algae to me.
I'll start to get algae growing on the more water loving trees as the soil is kept more moist. I just refresh the soil surface around this time of year.

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Algae....the little black pinhead algae eating bugs are the tell.

After while, when it gets thick enough, it makes a good still place for moss to grow.

I just cleaned some off mine.

Mine gets black around now....
Root rotting black.

Once it gets thick enough, you can pull off sheets of it with the entire top layer of soil.
And the underside is fresh and clean.

If you stir it around....it will fall through and make for shitty drainage.

I think I'm gonna put t-shirts on everything next year to keep em cleaner.

Good thing is....you know you're fertilizing enough when you get a lot of algae.

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I tend to get the green on the larger trees, and black on the tiny guys.20161031_081521.jpg 20161031_081534.jpg
Aaron

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@aml1014
The stuff in your second picture almost looks like Nostoc Commune to me, which is a type of cyanobacterium. We have it growing on the gravel paths at my nursery, it's usually a dark green but can be almost black in really wet spots. It can be really slippery and we control it by spraying dish soap and water on it. It dries up after about a few hours and turns a gold/brown color. The dish soap should be fine to spray on your soil; if you've ever bought soil with a "wetting agent" it's usually dish soap. People actually eat this stuff :rolleyes:.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@aml1014
The stuff in your second picture almost looks like Nostoc Commune to me, which is a type of cyanobacterium. We have it growing on the gravel paths at my nursery, it's usually a dark green but can be almost black in really wet spots. It can be really slippery and we control it by spraying dish soap and water on it. It dries up after about a few hours and turns a gold/brown color. The dish soap should be fine to spray on your soil; if you've ever bought soil with a "wetting agent" it's usually dish soap. People actually eat this stuff :rolleyes:.
Every couple months I give it a spray of copper fungicide, dead in a day lol then I justscrape the soil and replace with some fresh stuff.

Aaron

Top Bottom