Whats Going on in Smoke's Backyard?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update on the Wizard of Oz tree. Just off from the back of the tree. I like this view much better. Now just need to wire for the next season. This will be the before shot. Update later on Sunday.

DSC_000300011.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants.

This is why God invented sweat pants on the 8th day...
Like the new front, make sure you show us after the work, I'll be waiting for this one...
Merry Christmas Al to you and your lovely wife...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the four decent medium tridents I have either purchased or dug, these two are the furthest along. Today they both got a better pot.
This one had some texturing of the two prominent knots in the front and one down low right. This is the Yamafusa pot I got for it four years ago. These things take time. Tree is 13 inches tall with four inch trunk just above the soil and 6 inch spread at the soil. This tree still needs a little wire but it was cold, threatening rain and windy and I was tired. Always next year...right?
DSC_00321.JPG

This one was in a training pot last year after hard cutting all the roots and flat sawing most of the trunk. It responded well and was able to go into the Japanese bag pot. next year I will work more on the wounds. This tree is 11 inches tall with 4 inch trunk just above the soil and 7 inch spread at the soil.
DSC_00361.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tridents are to die for!
As usual an inspiration to me.

Thanks, I like them too...
Really like the tree in that Yamafusa pot!

I was worried that the tree wouldn't fit. It hasn't fit for the last two repots. I didn't have to mess with the roots at all except for just the cut back that I usually do. This is the roots from the second tree, but they were about the same. Flat pad circling the pot.
DSC_0017.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the first tree I bought the tree in 2009 from Ian Price of Lone Pine. The tree was in a heavy collar five gallon can.001.JPG

The tree was put into a cut down five in 2012 after the grafts had taken. The sides of the can were about 5 inches.011b.JPG

The tree was put into a colander in 2014. at this time I tried the Yamafusa and it was still too large. Many of the largest roots were cut back hard and carved on the bottom to allow rootage. The sides of the colander were about 5 inches tall also.024.JPG

In 2016 the tree was finally starting to get a manageable root system due to the colander and was able to go into the first ceramic container.DSC_00090001.JPG I entered the tree in a display contest during this time. 0040001.JPG

And today Jan. second 2017 it goes into it's purchased for pot DSC_00321.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The second tree was dug from field in 2013. 0001.JPG

In 2014 it was moved to a cut down five. 007.JPG 018.JPG

In 2015 the tree was planted into the colander. 008.JPG
In 2016 the tree saw a ceramic container. The container was pretty deep since it had some pretty good size roots. DSC_00090009.JPG

During the last potting the roots had been cut back drastically and shaped for rootage on the bottom of the root.
The tree on Jan. second 2017DSC_0036.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your Tridents really are exceptional Al!!
Thanks, long time no hear. I need some pots...guess I gotta join facebook. I have resisted but it looks like if I want something I will have to get it there.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never had an elm with color like this. Mostly they just stay green, or lose all the leaves. I have 8 of these shohin elms and these are the three that showed the best color and leaves still on. One of them was pretty good but when I touched the pot all the leaves fell off like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG

Top Bottom