Whats Going on in Smoke's Backyard?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I need some pots...guess I gotta join facebook. I have resisted but it looks like if I want something I will have to get it there.
Or just get hold of Matt Owinga and tell him what you need...

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Of the four decent medium tridents I have either purchased or dug, these two are the furthest along. Today they both got a better pot.
This one had some texturing of the two prominent knots in the front and one down low right. This is the Yamafusa pot I got for it four years ago. These things take time. Tree is 13 inches tall with four inch trunk just above the soil and 6 inch spread at the soil. This tree still needs a little wire but it was cold, threatening rain and windy and I was tired. Always next year...right?
View attachment 127835

This one was in a training pot last year after hard cutting all the roots and flat sawing most of the trunk. It responded well and was able to go into the Japanese bag pot. next year I will work more on the wounds. This tree is 11 inches tall with 4 inch trunk just above the soil and 7 inch spread at the soil.
View attachment 127836
Love this one!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the bark on a smaller cork bark elm I am working on. This one is more pebbly like cork while the big one has longer vertical striations. The foliage on these is good to work with unlike seiju foliage. This foliage is more like Drake elm, which make good foliage pads.
DSC_00043.JPG DSC_00056.JPG DSC_00064.JPG DSC_00073.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is the bark on a sma cork bark elm I am working on. This one is more pebbly like cork while the big one has longer vertical striations. The foliage on these is good to work with unlike seiju foliage. This foliage is more like Drake elm, which make good foliage pads.
View attachment 129245 View attachment 129246 View attachment 129247 View attachment 129248
That's not Mr Hankey 2.0 is it?.. all jokes aside, I like it.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the bark on a smaller cork bark elm I am working on. This one is more pebbly like cork while the big one has longer vertical striations. The foliage on these is good to work with unlike seiju foliage. This foliage is more like Drake elm, which make good foliage pads.
Thanks for clarification Smoke. The big one is beautiful.
I have few questions if you don't mind.
1- Was the big one field-grown and the small was pot-grown or either way?
2- Is there any different sunlight exposure status for the big one and small one? I mean the location of these pots.

The reason I ask such is that I want to find out why their bark characteristic is different.
Thank you.
Bonhe

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The big one was field grown in full sun in Fresno, much like your climate out in Riverside. Hot and dry. I have had it under shade cloth for three years so far. The bark was much more deeply fissured when I got it compared to what it looks like now. This is the back side three years ago. I think they grow so fast in the ground that bark gets rough quickly but as it grows more slowly in the pot, the bark has more ability to stretch rather than break
005.jpg

This small elm came from George Muranaka over in Nipoma Ca. where the temp averages around 78 year round. It was grown in a field in full sun too.
I suppose this tree will now slow down and probably lose some of the character.
009.JPG

This is another cork bark I am working on. This one too came from Muranaka. Same field grown conditions. This one is getting ready for a new radical approach. So radical even I am afraid to try it.
DSC_00030001.JPG

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke:
The big one was field grown in full sun in Fresno, much like your climate out in Riverside. Hot and dry. I have had it under shade cloth for three years so far. The bark was much more deeply fissured when I got it compared to what it looks like now.
I think they grow so fast in the ground that bark gets rough quickly but as it grows more slowly in the pot, the bark has more ability to stretch rather than break

Thank you for responding.
It makes sense now. Because the tree is growing fast in the field, its barks will have elongate
shape comparing to the tree is grown in the pot for its entire life. Besides, because the sunlight can cause the damage to the skin of the tree (same as human skin), its barks become thicker and thicker, it is why we see the deep grooves between the barks.
It means if you don't want to lose the bark character, you need to place cork elm in full sun!!

p/s: The way of watering also affects to the bark characteristics.

Bonhe

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hey @Smoke , you mentioned Drake above. I know you have mentioned it before but can you remind me why they are better than the species? Thanks!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Works well in the ground.....not so well in the pot!! Even elms can suffer in full sun here as you well know. They like the water.
It is why I place them in the east side of garden. When I placed them in the west, I had to use the white T shirt to cover the whole pot in the summer.
Bonhe

Top Bottom