What's in a name...?

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
SkinnyGoomba, Smoke, MelloMullet, Cadillactaste, Source, Mach5, thumbless, ...what's in a name? Like those old CB radio truckers crackled ...what's your handle good-body?

So B-nutters, in the spirit of getting to know each other a bit better I ask - What's the story behind your forum handle/name or for those like me that use our actual names - whfarro = will farro, what is the significance in your avatar.

Mine is the logo for Shorin Ryu - Shorinkan an Okinawan Karate style that I had trained in for a dozen plus years when I was younger. The "little pine forest" style of Chosin Chibana and Shugoro Nakazato is one of the oldest of all martial arts. It was during my training in karate that I think I first saw Bonsai and I guess the seeds were planted back then...

What's your story?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug deep for mine: "Dan W." -- This is so that people don't have to imagine how to pronounce my insanely long last name! Dan W. is short for Daniel Wiederrecht. The avatar is my definition of the word "bonsai" ... :)

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
My handle is..well my real handle. My avatar is a tree called Lucinda, a collected white cedar I have had for thirty some years.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My name was titled to me...years back. From a sales clerk that worked at Bed Bath and Beyond. I literally walked into the store...and chose their most expensive bedroom set. Lol It just sort of "stuck" I'm actually a "jeep" gal. ;) But...I still find I have selective higher end tastes...though I'm more eclectic now...and try to find unusual pieces over mass produced.

Significance of my avatar...it changes regularly...currently it's of my wisteria when it was first starting to bloom. They aren't fully extended...but...the color next to the blue wall I thought lovely. Typically it's things that are bonsai related that makes my heart smile.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fallen creatures we are all, but things like names can help to make us humble. For that reason I chose, Thumblessprimate. The thumbless primate is also a cute creature ;). My current avatar image is of Saint Charbel, a mystic monk, hermit, and priest from Lebanon.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
분재 (Bun Jae) is Korean for Bonsai. I used to argue with my teachers that
"재"
sounded more like jeh than jae. So,..Bunjeh is Bonsai my way. Real name is Kyle.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Milehigh_7 if you know football is simple enough. I am a life long Denver Bronco fan and a Colorado native. My Avitar is a "mutant fir" from Neopets. :)

Oh and BTW I studied Shuri-Ryu in my younger years.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I suppose I could be a bear cub (oso = bear), or I could be a juvenile (Oh so young), but I am Young - just naught [sic] so young now (obviously, I am still amused by juvenile puns/double entendres/word games that are hard to oso :eek: ).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll go after "word games"!

Sorce is my stage name. Short for Sorcerer. That's why there is NO U.

Emcee. Producer.

I've made 2 solo albums under this name, one joint album with my guy, and 2 albums for him.

Don't worry Mike, I'm working with a Death Metal band now! Hopin' to produce a album for them!

Sorce Beats

A video of a song I produced.......no cameos!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tieball.....Well, I worked my years through corporate life and wore ties everyday. As ties were not worn I started winding them in a ball. Eventually corporate life went to business casual....yea! No ties. The Tieball grew. So, I continued winding all my ties over time in a ball. Today the Tieball is about 16" in diameter. The ties in the very middle go back to the early 1970s. One of the middle ties is an Elton John Rocketman tie. Tieball....seemed appropriate.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
When I first signed up I was thinking of starting my own website, which I later did (www.the brassdragon.com). Having grown up on the gulf coast, I wanted the website to have a catchy name that included some of the local fare; however, most of the names concerning the local marine life and beach fun were taken. One night, in a moment of clarity and complete genius,lol, probably was the burbon, I thought of the mullet, a fish that is common around here (well used to be until the gill netters caught them all) might not have been used and I came up with the "mellow" because they just kinda swim along in a school not really bothering anything. Bingo, mellowmullet, was not taken.

I used that as my handle. It was later pointed out by others that while I was thinking fish because of the context, others might draw completely different conclusions--unfortunate 80's hairstyles, intoxication, use of certain substances, etc. Didn't really think of that...

Anyway, since I had started with it, I decided to keep it, my real name is John and I use it on all other forums. My avatar used to be the a cover from the band "Flogging Molly", now it is a picture of one of my favorite azaleas, tsuki no shimo or shimo no tsuki, I have seen it both ways.

Oh, I studied karate too, while I was in college and in my twenties, but that was a long time ago, probably sporting a "mullet".

John

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I suppose I could be a bear cub (oso = bear), or I could be a juvenile (Oh so young), but I am Young - just naught [sic] so young now (obviously, I am still amused by juvenile puns/double entendres/word games that are hard to oso :eek: ).
I thought you were Korean, but especially an oh-so-young one. :p

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
sikadelic (pronounced psychadelic) has been my screen name for everything since I first started using the internet when I was about 13-14 years old. I just thought it was catchy and I was a huge fan of the grateful dead (which I still enjoy but not as much as I used to). Tie dye and corduroy pants made up 90% of my wardrobe. It just seemed like a good choice.

I chose my avatar because I am a goofy bastard and didn't have any trees worthy of showing off in my picture. Homie the clown is hilarious and if you haven't heard of the character and need a good laugh, look no further:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Alain is my first name and my avatar is the hero of a Belgian graphic novel. His name is Gaston Lagaffe (Gaston Themistake), he is an office clerk at the publisher of the novel. He has 2 pets (the crazy cat and the laughing seagull) and does nothing but mistakes at his job. He is always in quest of new inventions that always fail, is a dreamer of a better world, love nature and has a ton of hobbies although he doesn't do bonsai (he is more in cactus in one album). He is a very very well known comics character, at least in French speaking countries.

Top Bottom