Where Can I find Prunus Mume in Canada?

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I have been digging all the sources I know here in Canada to find some Prunus Mume specimens, no luck. Anyone know where I can find these or know a source?

According to the Canadian Food and Inspection Agency, we can't import any Prunus Spp.

Thank you,

Jun

Random User

Reaction score
Pls let me know if they have them and if they are wildly expensive... I have a few things that I'd like to try and source that I can't get here in the Prairies... I might have to race out to the coast to look for some stuff before spring.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pls let me know if they have them and if they are wildly expensive... I have a few things that I'd like to try and source that I can't get here in the Prairies... I might have to race out to the coast to look for some stuff before spring.
Will Do, I called them and they are closed until the 9th of Jan. Will call them again on Monday and see.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just called the place, spoke to a guy and he said the trees are 8-10ft tall. and they don't ship. When I mentioned the scientific name/common name he kinda got mixed up, so I am assuming he has no idea...he gave me his email and I emailed him the detail and will wait and see what his response is.

Random User

Reaction score
I tend to see the same thing here in the Prairies. The shop owners seem to buy "batches" or simply buy what is cheap and then mark it up drastically... there is no rhyme of reason as to what they bring in as long as they can keep it alive long enough to sell.

However, that can at time provide an opportunity that most people would pass up.

I'd really, really, really like an arbutus, so I might race out there before spring (before the rat-race starts here) to see what I can find. I've been tempted to order something in, but the likelihood of getting what I would be satisfied with is probably pretty low... although, they are likely to send the most abused, broken, twisted, and deformed plant that they have in sight; just the thing that I'd pick if I was there myself!

Did he mention a price... I don't need to know the value, just if it seemed high or not.

Random User

Reaction score
I guess there might also be the option (assuming that I would go) to buy the tree for you, chop it off on the coast, winter it here till spring, then ship it to you before the summer flush... but you'd have to take a chance that what I chose would be acceptable.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I guess there might also be the option (assuming that I would go) to buy the tree for you, chop it off on the coast, winter it here till spring, then ship it to you before the summer flush... but you'd have to take a chance that what I chose would be acceptable.
hmmm id be interested in getting in on that idea, even if the stock is mediocre, it could be worth airlayering parts of it and start trying to propagate stock so there is something out this way for the clubs here

Random User

Reaction score
hmmm id be interested in getting in on that idea, even if the stock is mediocre, it could be worth airlayering parts of it and start trying to propagate stock so there is something out this way for the clubs here

I wouldn't get too excited yet John... something doesn't sound right about this entire thing. First off, an 8 -10 foot Prunus Mume? Unless the Ag Canada/CFIA rules changed in the last few years, how did the tree (or parent tree come to Canada in the first place)... I have little doubt that they have prunus, but since my last post, I have become highly sceptical of the story...

Let's see what junmilo finds out.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's Wait for the reply email from them. I work for Air Canada, and at times I fly to BC for work. So I might go there and see what else they have.

When I said to the guy from artsnursery that these are bush and sounded surprise when he said that they are 8-10 feet in height I asked if they were Japanese flowering cherry his like they are pink flowers...etc.

Random User

Reaction score
I agree... the other thing is that it would be a bit of an inconvenience to do our bonsai activities when we're guests of the Kingston and Prince Albert Pens... and we might have a hard time trying to get "cred" from lifers and serial killers, with an Ag Canada rap sheet.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
During my research of why no mume in Canada is because the specific spps of Prunus that only flowers (no fruits) carry a specific fungus that can harm the fruit farms here. So basically ya. But I found out that there's two places in BC that has them on display in the gardens. One mume is in Chinatown at the small garden dedicated to a historical Chinese, the other is at a bigger botanical garden that has 5 different varieties.

If this arts nursery falls short, I'm going to the two locations and ask for permission to get some cutting from them and try my luck on rooting hormones.

Random User

Reaction score
My Grandmother was the most embarrassing person to take to a garden, garden centre, or even walk down the street with... if she saw a plant that she liked, she'd "snick" a bit of it as she passed by... after an hours walk, her bulky manila sized purse would be over flowing with a little of "this and that"... she had light fingers and green thumbs.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that IF you managed to find the right person(s) in Chinatown, you might have an opportunity to walk away with more than just a cutting or two.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My Grandmother was the most embarrassing person to take to a garden, garden centre, or even walk down the street with... if she saw a plant that she liked, she'd "snick" a bit of it as she passed by... after an hours walk, her bulky manila sized purse would be over flowing with a little of "this and that"... she had light fingers and green thumbs.

That's nothing. We've had people walk into our front yard, climb up the front steps to get to one of our planters, and help themselves to some of our roses.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I have been digging all the sources I know here in Canada to find some Prunus Mume specimens, no luck. Anyone know where I can find these or know a source?

According to the Canadian Food and Inspection Agency, we can't import any Prunus Spp.

Thank you,

Jun

Check The Bonsai Guy he's located outside of London. He imports a lot of stuff and has a big variety of shrubbery. Also Kim's Nature in Markham/Scarborough.

Good luck.

Random User

Reaction score
That's nothing. We've had people walk into our front yard, climb up the front steps to get to one of our planters, and help themselves to some of our roses.

Wow... with the loaded gun density in the U.S., thats ballsy!

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check The Bonsai Guy he's located outside of London. He imports a lot of stuff and has a big variety of shrubbery. Also Kim's Nature in Markham/Scarborough.

Good luck.

Kim's Nature I asked already, the lady owner said no they don't carry it.

The Bonsai Guy I saw his website, just carry most of the big box store nursery stuff.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to go to Chinatown here in Toronto to see if they sell the actual Japanese Apricot or Chinese Plum fruit and try my luck with the seeds. I dug through the CFIA regs and importing permits, the only chance to get one in is through a research institute, so university.

Top Bottom