Where to find Bonsai in the Houston, TX area?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I'll be in the Houston area next week and would love to see some local bonsai and purchase some Texas yamadori. Any leads are appreciated

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I grew up in Houston and return regularly to visit family. The only bonsai business I am aware of is Timeless Trees. If you like stones, I would strongly recommend a visit to ADG - Aquarium Design Group...they have connections in China and import some fabulous stones...not cheap but a source like you've never seen before.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I'm going to look at both recommendations and thank you for the recommendation.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I was there 6 or so years ago there was a standard nursery owned by a Vietnamese family that had a massive selection of pots. Not your high end tokoname but still good looking production pots of all sizes. Wish I could remember the name.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
JRN Nursery 1 & 2 are the Vietnamese purveyors. Quality feed & Garden has some Brussels stock and a some other stuff. haven't been in a while so idk what they have now.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JRN Nursery 1 & 2 are the Vietnamese purveyors. Quality feed & Garden has some Brussels stock and a some other stuff. haven't been in a while so idk what they have now.
JRN was the spot I was thinking of! Photo from yelp. If you need a big pot for a nice tree as a place filler until you can get a high end one, this may be your spot. IMG_7890.jpeg

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I just moved back from Houston a year ago.

Quality Feed & Garden in Houston is worth checking out. Typically a lot of Brussels material but the owner does purchase local material as well. Ask for Ken, great guy and board member of Houston Bonsai Society. Perhaps call ahead and ask about TX natives/yamadori.

The two JRN nurseries are Vietnamese and have a lot of tropicals. Worth a quick visit if you're in the area. No natives really except nursery stock.

Timeless Trees in Rosenberg is definitely worth the trip. Go see Hurley, open Fridays and Saturdays. He has a great selection of material and really nice stuff. Great dude too and also a board member of Houston Bonsai Society. Likely had TX yamadori kicking around.

Last but not least. I know of a guy 1.5~2hrs drive out of Houston who digs native Ashe Juniper and Cedar Elms. His material is incredible and he takes great care after collection. You can message me if you're interested in this option and I'll see if he'd be available for a visitor.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
JRN was the spot I was thinking of! Photo from yelp. If you need a big pot for a nice tree as a place filler until you can get a high end one, this may be your spot.
About 4yrs ago they had a pot selection reminiscent of what's in this picture, but unfortunately since then it dwindled to about a tenth of that. At least up until a year or so ago when I left Houston.

There's 2 JRN locations, I always preferred the one on Breen Drive because it's larger and the lady who runs it is very friendly.

Timeless Trees has some really great pots too, some more designed type stuff and the odd large container.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I just moved back from Houston a year ago.

Quality Feed & Garden in Houston is worth checking out. Typically a lot of Brussels material but the owner does purchase local material as well. Ask for Ken, great guy and board member of Houston Bonsai Society. Perhaps call ahead and ask about TX natives/yamadori.

The two JRN nurseries are Vietnamese and have a lot of tropicals. Worth a quick visit if you're in the area. No natives really except nursery stock.

Timeless Trees in Rosenberg is definitely worth the trip. Go see Hurley, open Fridays and Saturdays. He has a great selection of material and really nice stuff. Great dude too and also a board member of Houston Bonsai Society. Likely had TX yamadori kicking around.

Last but not least. I know of a guy 1.5~2hrs drive out of Houston who digs native Ashe Juniper and Cedar Elms. His material is incredible and he takes great care after collection. You can message me if you're interested in this option and I'll see if he'd be available for a visitor.
Sending you a DM, thank you

Top Bottom