Where to start??

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BRT can be kept happy inside in the winter with decent light and good ventilation (but not cold drafty air) Can you find an outdoor place in the summer for a tree? Both BRT and Ficus will do better if they can be outside in the sun for summer.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quite the dilemma. I have a similar situation: I want to do Chinese calligraphy. Been reading up on it a little bit online, and it sounds really, really cool, and, like, I'm thinking it might really add to all the other hobbies and projects I'm into. I've held a brush before - so I think I can do that - maybe pick up a cheap one at Home Depot - and I think I have a few empty sheets of paper here somewhere in my room, you know, the lined three-ring paper from high school. I think I do ... have to check. The ink seems like it might, you know, get a bit messy and stuff, so I'm thinking I might just do it with crayons or something. But even that way it might get messy and not fit in with my lifestyle, all those sheets of paper adding to the clutter here in my room and all. So I'm thinking I might just do it outside somewhere - there's a vacant lot a half mile from here, not a great neighborhood, and it rains almost all the time here most times of year, but maybe that'd be the best place to do it. Any of you calligraphy artists here have any suggestions?

I'm also thinking of getting into small engine repair, and the idea of working with explosives and stuff is starting to interest me as well - anyone here into that? 'Cause I got some questions ...

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Quite the dilemma. I have a similar situation: I want to do Chinese calligraphy. Been reading up on it a little bit online, and it sounds really, really cool, and, like, I'm thinking it might really add to all the other hobbies and projects I'm into. I've held a brush before - so I think I can do that - maybe pick up a cheap one at Home Depot - and I think I have a few empty sheets of paper here somewhere in my room, you know, the lined three-ring paper from high school. I think I do ... have to check. The ink seems like it might, you know, get a bit messy and stuff, so I'm thinking I might just do it with crayons or something. But even that way it might get messy and not fit in with my lifestyle, all those sheets of paper adding to the clutter here in my room and all. So I'm thinking I might just do it outside somewhere - there's a vacant lot a half mile from here, not a great neighborhood, and it rains almost all the time here most times of year, but maybe that'd be the best place to do it. Any of you calligraphy artists here have any suggestions?

I'm also thinking of getting into small engine repair, and the idea of working with explosives and stuff is starting to interest me as well - anyone here into that? 'Cause I got some questions ...
The only explosives I mess with are FIREWORKS on the 4th and Dec 31st!! So,... YEAH! I'm into that!!

JDN

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
BRT can be kept happy inside in the winter with decent light and good ventilation (but not cold drafty air) Can you find an outdoor place in the summer for a tree? Both BRT and Ficus will do better if they can be outside in the sun for summer.
I do have the space outside for a tree to go and I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world not having it indoors in the summer. but I'd really prefer to have it inside on my end table and just take it out like I do my other plants for outside time.

JDN

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Ok sounds good. I would suggest finding people who have more knowledge than you and ask for advice. Maybe someone will give some advice that further confuse and make you question things. And then see how many people also "contribute knowledge" that don't do that.

Last edited:

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
JDN, see my first post simple as that, don't over complicate things. If killing things is going to be a problem for you, steer clear away from bonsai trees... just saying.

Reactions: JDN

JDN

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
JDN, see my first post simple as that, don't over complicate things. If killing things is going to be a problem for you, steer clear away from bonsai trees... just saying.
Solid advice! And thank you. My primary concern is the proper plant for indoors. Other things were brought into question... but I guess that's ultimately what it should come down to. Either do it and accept the losses and learn or don't. Like the lesson of killing the juniper someone gave me. I knew from that experience that they are not indoor friendly.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
JDN, I have a younger brother who can't stand being outside or doing outdoor activities. To this day I don't get it and there's great chance I never will, but I do accept that it is how he is and how he feels. This time of year I start going nuts because I can't be outside working on my trees or my yard and watching the progression of seeing nature in action. This shouldn't limit you in your interest in Bonsai, just understand the challenges you are going to face and that the deck may be entirely stacked against you. In Ann Arbor, MI, a bonsai veteran has trees growing exclusively under lights for 30+ years so it can be done. Look up Jack Wikle articles, he's one of the best when it comes to indoor bonsai.

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Results may vary... Most bonsai would rather live outside BUT most can tolerate/be happy inside for a short period. All my trees live outside but I have 6 or so favorites that I rotate indoors. They look nice and not everyone is willing or cares to walk outside to appreciate them. I bring them to work and they hang out on my desk for a few days before going back home (outside). They come inside and hang out in the living room when we have company come over and go back outside in a week or so. Most, not all, of my pruning and wiring is done inside. The smaller trees, I even repot inside.
Get yourself 3-4 trees, keep them outside and rotate them inside about once a week. You still will have to brave the outside once a day to water them, but with 3-4 it should only take a few minutes a day.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seeing as you live in NY and you want a tree(s) to enjoy all year round, you need tropicals and you need lights. Yes they would benefit greatly from summers outdoors, and winters indoors, but it is possible to grow indoors.

To answer your question about running cost, if you are only planning on having 1-4 "small" trees growing inside, I don't see it costing you more than $20 a month to run a four foot, four light bank of high-output T5 (HO T5) fluorescents.

Depending on how far away your lights are from the trees, and your trees/light ratio will be you can get away with running the lights between 12-16 hours a day.

There's an indoor discussion about lights posted here somewhere. With a chart for light output, per t5HO. I;d look for it. It's gold.

At the very least I'd use HOT5's as your lights. You WILL be able to grow with lesser lights, BUT your growth would be leggier, and not as dense.

Lights, you can find for cheap on ebay and amazon. You'll want 6500K bulbs. They also sell 10000K. I'm thinking about trying a few out.

Also there are now Sunblaster 7000K LED strips in 2, 3, and 4 foot lengths, that are said to be a replacement for the HOT5's. Cooler, longer lasting, more expensive.

Alternatively visit your hydro shop, and build a relationship there. Who knows what you'll need as your collection expands.

You will need to replace the bulbs about every 10-14 months if you're running them 16hours a day. You'll know when to replace as they dim, and eventually die.

You will need to increase the humidity around the trees, so either trays filled with pebbles and water or humidity domes, or humidifiers running when the lights are running

Fans. Atleast one to circulate the air. But don't blow directly onto the trees as some will not like it.

Pests. You have to deal with them. Since you're indoors I wouldn't recommend systemics as you're living in the same area.

It's a great hobby, that turns art for some. It's always good to have things growing inside the house :)

Here's my setup.

IMG_5168.JPG IMG_5170.JPG IMG_5169.JPG

JDN

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Huh. The idea of multiple trees to rotate is interesting. And I'll be more clear, I go outside. But not by choice really. I do the yardwork and shovel and I force myself to take my kids out to play. It's just not something I enjoy during the spring, summer or winter (I enjoy playing with my kids... just not the weather). Lol. Fall I'm all for.

JDN

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seeing as you live in NY and you want a tree(s) to enjoy all year round, you need tropicals and you need lights. Yes they would benefit greatly from summers outdoors, and winters indoors, but it is possible to grow indoors.

To answer your question about running cost, if you are only planning on having 1-4 "small" trees growing inside, I don't see it costing you more than $20 a month to run a four foot, four light bank of high-output T5 (HO T5) fluorescents.

Depending on how far away your lights are from the trees, and your trees/light ratio will be you can get away with running the lights between 12-16 hours a day.

There's an indoor discussion about lights posted here somewhere. With a chart for light output, per t5HO. I;d look for it. It's gold.

At the very least I'd use HOT5's as your lights. You WILL be able to grow with lesser lights, BUT your growth would be leggier, and not as dense.

Lights, you can find for cheap on ebay and amazon. You'll want 6500K bulbs. They also sell 10000K. I'm thinking about trying a few out.

Also there are now Sunblaster 7000K LED strips in 2, 3, and 4 foot lengths, that are said to be a replacement for the HOT5's. Cooler, longer lasting, more expensive.

Alternatively visit your hydro shop, and build a relationship there. Who knows what you'll need as your collection expands.

You will need to replace the bulbs about every 10-14 months if you're running them 16hours a day. You'll know when to replace as they dim, and eventually die.

You will need to increase the humidity around the trees, so either trays filled with pebbles and water or humidity domes, or humidifiers running when the lights are running

Fans. Atleast one to circulate the air. But don't blow directly onto the trees as some will not like it.

Pests. You have to deal with them. Since you're indoors I wouldn't recommend systemics as you're living in the same area.

It's a great hobby, that turns art for some. It's always good to have things growing inside the house :)

Here's my setup.

View attachment 129054 View attachment 129055 View attachment 129056
What kind of tree is the 3rd one in from the left and 3rd in from the right on the lower shelf? That setup looks a lot like what I did for the tomatoes that I gave up on.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3rd from the left? under the humidity dome? That's a schefflera cutting in a tube to train the roots for an exposed root. Third from the left on the top shelf that's either a Schefflera or a Crassula (Jade), depending on what you count as third. Third from the right, that' a greek myrtle.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
explosives

You are so cool!

I quoted that just to be on the same watch list as you!

I'm glad that no matter where on earth you are, you read through in pixel land all the same.

For full coverage....

Tune in to the...

Just Dead Network

For all things dead Bonsai, featuring Killigraphy, and the Death of Inspiration!

Sorce

JDN

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_1526.JPG IMG_1525.JPG
3rd from the left? under the humidity dome? That's a schefflera cutting in a tube to train the roots for an exposed root. Third from the left on the top shelf that's either a Schefflera or a Crassula (Jade), depending on what you count as third. Third from the right, that' a greek myrtle.
Sorry for my unclear direction

Top Bottom