Willow ficus hit with frost

tangotango

Seedling
Reaction score
brand new to the site looking for some knowledge and experience to advise me regarding a 28 yr old willow ficus which was gifted to me a few years ago by a landscape architect whom I crossed paths with while fulfilling an internship in beautiful Beaufort, SC. I've learned a lot from keeping her alive but haven't done any major pruning or other cultural practices since taking ownership.

Currently residing in Cincinnati, Ohio I irresponsibly allowed the ficus to get hit with a major frost a couple weeks ago. I usually bring her in when temps get in the 40's. She is currently in the house without a single leaf, all dropped soon after the frost. The branches are extremely dried out and breaking.

Humidity in the house is low but temps remain 72. Not sure what to do or if it's too late. I do have indoor lights that I supplement other plants throughout the winter that I could utilize.

Any advice is appreciated.

Semper Fi

Attachments

• IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 175

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn...

Welcome to Crazy!

I would just leave it out of drafts with as much light as possible.

Messing with trying to change humidity with tents and all that jazz could lead to the the dead tips to start rotting and blah.

But someone might have a more scientific understanding of what it's doing, if that's what you're looking for!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Keep it at room temps (don't go crazy and try to overheat it), though it enjoys humidity wherever you can provide it. Give it as much light as you can.

You should see new buds in a couple of weeks - assuming the roots didn't freeze. I completely defoliate my ficus at least once a year... your tree looks just like mine when I do so.

It is really important you DON'T let the new buds die because a ficus can throw a second growth in a season without too much trouble... but a third growth can be really taxing and will weaken the tree tremendously, with likely branch loss and/or die back if not outright death.

I should also add... don't do ANYTHING else. Don't prune, fertilize, repot... wait until it pops new growth.

And if the roots froze and the tree is dead... there is nothing else that can be said :) However I like to think positively :)

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would wait it out until it starts to bud back and then see how low you might have to trim it back....watch the over watering. I have had ficus frosted so bad the bark came off but they came back....a little shorter :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
watch the over watering

Yes! I should have said this, but if a ficus doesn't have leaves, water transpiration is next to nothing. Don't water until the soil is dry at the surface and only "moist" throughout. Make sure you don't rot out the roots by having them sit in wet soil 24/7.

tangotango

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the quick responses. Seems like a nice to little community to be a part of. I'll be sure to let y'all know how everything goes.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If you're ever uncertain if the tree is still alive or not, scratch the bark. If it's green underneath it's still alive. If it's brown it's a gonner unfortunately.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have a Ficus from Mexico, looks like a willow leaf, but it is somewhat different. Mine can sit for as much as 3 or 4 months, totally leafless, and then it will suddenly wake up and start growing. So give your ficus time. Don't assume it is dead until it has had 4 or more months without leaves.

Avoid over watering. Don't do anything else, no repotting, no fertilizer, just water, light and hope for the best.

There is a very good chance it will recover.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From the photo, this one looks dead. The limbs look like they are about to peeled. I would do the scratch test to see which part still alive and which are dead.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There's something very satisfying seeing new buds popping out and greens growing:)

Good save on this one!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lesson learned but survived:D. Congratulations.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

Thanks for the update!

Sorce

tangotango

Seedling
Reaction score
She's busting at the seams....suggestions on choosing new leaders or should I trim all growth and wait for it find its own dominant leader?
Any suggestions, ideas or past experience is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 68

tangotango

Seedling
Reaction score
The new and improved yet much shorter structure.

Attachments

• IMG_2977.JPG
    IMG_2977.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 66

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Let it be for now. Wait until the shoots extend a bit more, then cut each cluster back to one shoot each. Then let them grow until the tree has recovered. It needs all the growth it can get to get healthy again.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I want someone to comment on that gnarly nebari.. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that before.
It could be really attractive or really ugly, I just don't know! Someone tell me lol.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I wanted to keep this fig, I wouldn't even show it a set of scissors until 2020.....sawzall to the roots this summer, yes.....but no snippy-snippy.

Top Bottom