Willow leaf ficus

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's my only ficus, willow leaf. I defoliate and wire this one every winter or so, it's coming along nicely. May move to a smaller pot soon, there is a nice surface root leading away on the left that compliments the base movement on the right that could use a bit of exposure.

Attachments

• P1000174.jpg
    P1000174.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 165
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
its cute. kinda looks like a maple.

i know you are keeping the left branch high to fill that void, but I'd bring it down and graft a branch higher to fill the excess negative space

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can't slide anything past you! I do have a tentative branch to fill that area, and you are right. I'll go re-arrange the left low one, maple shape is sort of the goal.

Here is a photo of it early on. SIAP from ebay...:p

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 120

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Don's right. That lowest branch looks awkward at that angle. I like how it leaves he trunk, but I would bend is sharply down at about the half way mark.

If you get a new branch, fine. If not, you eventually will be able to pull something down toward it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
here ya go

Pulled down, and forward a bit. This branch may also be a bit long for itself, see what pops!

I hardly think about this one, although I've had it for a long time, that old pic is probably after I had it for a year or so. But when I defoliate, and wire, its' such a cute little tree. Maybe time to figure a way to reduce leaf size, as the structure is about ready. Any tips for ficus leaf reduction???

Attachments

• P1000178.jpg
    P1000178.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 120
  • P1000180.jpg
    P1000180.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 104

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pulled down, and forward a bit. This branch may also be a bit long for itself, see what pops!

I hardly think about this one, although I've had it for a long time, that old pic is probably after I had it for a year or so. But when I defoliate, and wire, its' such a cute little tree. Maybe time to figure a way to reduce leaf size, as the structure is about ready. Any tips for ficus leaf reduction???

Lots of direct sunlight after defoliation produces smaller leaves on Ficus. Low light or partial shade and they grow big leaves. They can be defoliated 3-4 times in a summer too.

ed

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A

Looks much better. This is a nice little ficus. Very cute. I'd like to see it in a smaller, shallow dish. Its come a long way since you got it.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy,

as Ed said, lots of sunlight, but for the time being you can also just keep removing the largest leaves.

A shallow pot, in our climate, induces more growth, but we do have about 10% organic matter by volume in the mix, and the inorganic part is not porous.
Wishing you all the best.
Good Day
Anthony

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the comments and advices. I will think about defoliation maybe this summer. It's never been defoliated except in winter, to be wired.
Yes I think a shallower pot will be key, maybe in another year.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you have your not sure about this im pretty sure I can come up with something. Send it my why and I tell ha how it goes.....

:) it's a nice little tree and as soon as I get my indoor grow section up and running im gonna keep my eye out for a nice willow leaf.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coming along nicely!

So you defoliate in winter, which I assume promotes a growth spurt. Do you then get a second growth spurt during the summer?

I've generally been defoliating my willow leaf's in the spring when I put them outside, which allows me to wire (if needed) before the seasonal growth begins. I usually only get the summer growth, indoors under lights the plants don't really grow for me. Maybe I'll try defoliating one of them during the winter and see what happens...

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This thing seems to grow throughout the year for me. I've never defoliated other than winter, as I have time to wire then, and not so much during the spring repotting push. I only have it under a normal shop light, and in a south facing window. It's not fast, but it does grow in the winter.
Give it a shot, unless you don't think you have enough light for it to feed itself well. I also fertilize my indoor trees maintenance dosage every other day or so each time I water. Keeps my BRT growing like a weed all winter. Think I get more growth on that in the winter in the summer actually.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I would consider defoliating twice in the summer. The hotter the better. It will put out tons of tiny leaves and will push lots of new growth.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

You may want to remove that secondary branch at the back of the one you wired.

I defoliate in the winter, too, mostly through benign neglect. Here's a today picture of one of mine. I de-leaf twice in the summer (which is probably a bit longer than yours). tht get the leaves smaller.

The tree today:

Attachments

• 1-15JPG.jpg
    1-15JPG.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 97

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You may want to remove that secondary branch at the back of the one you wired.

I defoliate in the winter, too, mostly through benign neglect. Here's a today picture of one of mine. I de-leaf twice in the summer (which is probably a bit longer than yours). tht get the leaves smaller.

The tree today:

Nice Jim, like it. Can you be more specific as far as the branch? The branch behind that is a back branch, do you think it'll create reverse taper? It comes off a good bit lower but you can't see that from the photo if that's the one you are referring to.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Where did you get this guy, was it local or online?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice Jim, like it. Can you be more specific as far as the branch? The branch behind that is a back branch, do you think it'll create reverse taper? It comes off a good bit lower but you can't see that from the photo if that's the one you are referring to.

Ahhh . . . if it is a back branch, please bend it in the other direction. At least in photos it looks out of place. I'd like to see it just peeking out the other side (right) of the trunk.

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really like the look of your ficus. I have two that I am slowly trying to train and shape right now and really like the movement of yours.

Top Bottom