Willow leaf ficus

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahhh . . . if it is a back branch, please bend it in the other direction. At least in photos it looks out of place. I'd like to see it just peeking out the other side (right) of the trunk.

I'll take a look, see if it'll get over there.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Guess it pays to be observant, mine will be from online to me tinks.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With JKL's suggested branch placement. You can just see the tip of the low back branch now moved to the right. Moving that branch suggested moving some of the other right hand branching to give it room. Also changed a bit of the left hand branching. Maybe made a few changes to make it a bit less contrived in some spots.

It's amazing how so small of a tree can take so much time to arrange! But with smaller trees, I'm finding take longer as each teensy (and I mean 1/16" change) can make such a huge impact. I always have more respect for shohin and mame folks after working one of my small trees.

Improvement or not? First two are the new arrangement, last one is the before pic.

Attachments

• P1000191.jpg
    P1000191.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000192.jpg
    P1000192.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P1000178.jpg
    P1000178.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 51

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like the only thing to me is while the pot is very nice it seem to be a little large or was that on purpose?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Maybe, but I think you can do far better than this. This tree has a primary branch going up, an upper branch coming starkly down, and you're making use of branches that are far too heavy.

It's a ficus; which means you can make new branches from that nice trunk in a few months, so why settle for what's there when you can prune mercilessly and get properly proportioned branches? They're also very flexible, so why not get real movement from that first left branch? You could twist it just a little and add some real drama

Here is what jumps out at me when I see this tree:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 53

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Look what happens when you change the planting angle just a little, and get the first two branches in a more appropriate plane for their position on the tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 53

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Then, replace the too-thick branches with new growth, which you will wire to provide real movement. Build the canopy to support the slant...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 48

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Changing the planting angle is always a good thing to check out, but with our round pot, all you need to do it turn the entire thing about 2 degrees clockwise so that back branch can be seen as a back branch and you've got more depth.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Of course Brian is correct as usual, there are some too heavy branches up top, and actually probably a couple more branches than needed.
I want to look at this with the tree in front of me, but I'm unsure if I agree with the planting angle though. The virt feels unbalanced to me a bit, maybe if the apex came back to over the base it could work.

Jim, that branch is very small right now, when it grows up to be a real branch, it will def. read as one. I have turned the tree that way but the front angle then seems pretty flat between the two bottom branches, and the uro is a bit straight on for me as well. That's why this is the angle it's at currently.

This tree as I've said, never really gets any love from me until winter. I guess I need to try harder with it, no reason to have something that is less than it can be. Thanks for the push Brian, it's how we get better.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Alexandra, I sold this little tree a couple of years ago, I still miss it a bit in the winter... I hope you find the answer to your query about backbudding, seems like I read a trick about pulling all the leaves off the branches, but leaving the tip leaves on to get it to backbud.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've gotten some native ficus to reduce from 6" to 1", just taking off the big leaves. And I leave the growing tip
After a while they seem to give up and make lots of smaller leaves.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
seems like I read a trick about pulling all the leaves off the branches, but leaving the tip leaves on to get it to backbud.
JudyB,
I don't understand that why after pulling all the leaves off , it still have the tip leaves.
Bonhe

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All but the tip leaves. Don't remember where I read that, or if it worked.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, he used to be on another forum when I was coming into it, and he was a great help to me.

Top Bottom