Winter Preparation-What Do You Do

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
This morning it was 34 below zero F. My bonzo storage facility was at 26 above--no additional heating. All is well. This weekend I will probably bring some snow in to dust on the trees.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Okay, tonight I had to take things like bougs, natal plums, and things that have already been repotted into the garage. After several nights in the 40s we have one last night where we will likely freeze. I think this is it, though. Projected lows low to mid 40's for the next 10 days.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put all my trees in rubbermaid bins, mulched them, and put them beside my shed. We just got some rain and a little snow over the weekend. I go out to check and my bins are just a giant block of ice with some sticks on top. I forgot to poke holes in the bottoms of the bins...

It's going to be 60 here on Thursday. :oops: Winter is not fun.

Random User

Reaction score
It was around -31 C last night with the wind chill and I noticed moon dogs around 4:00 am... although, they aren't super rare, it's rare that I am wake enough at that time of the night to notice them... they looked really cool, and of course I didn't have a high enough quality camera to get a picture.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm in my damn wife beater todayView attachment 128582
WAY TO HOT FOR JANUARY!!!
Just to compliment the lovely photo of a Vineyard that was on my Weather Channel app, here's some trees at work:DView attachment 128585

Aaron
You had me there for a sec. Was trying to slide YOUR ring tone valume to the max :mad: I like it loud :)

I will see 50 tomorrow and 60 Thursday. This after snow and freezing temps :rolleyes:

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to bring a dozen or so of my Ficus and other tropicals inside to the kitchen table on Sunday evening. It got down to 38f. Fortunately, its warming back up to the mid 50f-60f. Hopefully, winter is over for the year here in FL.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had to bring a dozen or so of my Ficus and other tropicals inside to the kitchen table on Sunday evening. It got down to 38f. Fortunately, its warming back up to the mid 50f-60f. Hopefully, winter is over for the year here in FL.
I'm so Envious right now lol

Aaron

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh poor you! Yer not allowed in this thread!
Kidding of corse. Welcome to B Nut. My sister is in Sarasota. Boated out the Jetty.
I'm envious as well.

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zone envy is an awful thing. I wish I could live in Florida, but I couldn't live with out my ponderosa pines.

Aaron
I know... I spent most of my life out west. Spent my childhood in the mountain forests surrounded my pine, spruce and aspen. Arizona and Colorado mainly... lived in Albuquerque for about 2 years. I miss the mountains and the views... I don't miss the cold and snow. These are the choices we make.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm stocking up on beer and cigarettes;). Was in the 50's here yesterday, but they are predicting freezing rain and ice starting tomorrow afternoon through Saturday.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well we may be in for some snow here next week which is completely unheard of for this region. I can bring my ficus inside easy enough but have a number of saplings that I need to work out what to do with.
Didn't really think this would be a problem.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even warmer here Grim with a forcast of 60 tomorrow and 10 day above 32f. My kind of Jan.
You have me thinking about my homeless pond dwelling BCypress. His pond went away for the winter. maybe get him a pan of eater tomorrow.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have me thinking about my homeless pond dwelling BCypress.

I kept mine in 3+ inches of water all Winter except for a few days when we had these screwy warm spells. I slipped the frozen block out of the clear container and placed them on the ground allowing them to thaw and the water to flow through the soil. Then back in to freeze yet again. They are the only plants I mess with all Winter along with the Willow although they have all been watered 3 times so far.

IMG_0891.JPG

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My trees are frozen solid in a block of ice. It's supposed to get into the 40s for the next week or so.
I'm not worried though. They arent going to thaw out in a week.
I check for signs of vole activity every week though. That's my biggest worry. Not thawing. They're trees. Outside. Nothing I can do about weather.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From winter prep, to spring prep, I got to siftin this afternoon! All the family was chillin out after tobogganing, so I threw on the mask and got to work out back.

Top Bottom