Yamadori Rocky Mountain Juniper

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Dave,
I love your tree!
I played around with a virtual deadwood tool. Someone in the middle of this thread mentioned the focus that the middle jin takes so I touched it up along with the left one just a tad. I'm not making any suggestions or anything but just had some fun with the photos,
Ian
RMJ 3.jpg
MRJ modified jin.jpg

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Do you fertilize all year long?
So, down here in N GA, RMJs seem to grow on and off through the winter so I'll leave the spent bags of fert on but won't put fresh ones on until the spring season starts...which was apparently last week:eek:.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
So, down here in N GA, RMJs seem to grow on and off through the winter so I'll leave the spent bags of fert on but won't put fresh ones on until the spring season starts...which was apparently last week:eek:.
Sounds like a heck of a growing season!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds like a heck of a growing season!
It is for the RMJs. Everything else starts growing in March-early April and stops in late October-early November...or at least that's the way it was- I've got maples, goji berry, quince and ume all thinking it's time to get going...about a month or more early.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
It is for the RMJs. Everything else starts growing in March-early April and stops in late October-early November...or at least that's the way it was- I've got maples, goji berry, quince and ume all thinking it's time to get going...about a month or more early.

Who did you pick up the Ume from? My wife wants me to add a flowering tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, this is my tree at the Atlanta Bonsai Society annual spring show last month. The lighting left much to be desired, unfortunately so the picture is rather flat.
17308863_10155113017052497_3313205804028156342_n.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... and this is it today... This ancient tree came to me over 10 years ago in a turface based soil and has been growing well in a turface based soil until this morning. Today, it was repotted into Clay King with a fair amount of Pumice mixed in. I raised the tree up another inch, as I want to keep as much of the deadwood out of the soil as possible. This means that the supporting wood blocks behind the trunk are visible almost an inch above the soil... but they're behind the trunk, so who cares:). I'm hoping this tree likes the new, larger grained components then the turface... and I'm hoping that @Adair M will now finally get off my back about my bonsai soil:p.
IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2247.JPG IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2248.JPG

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... and this is it today... This ancient tree came to me over 10 years ago in a turface based soil and has been growing well in a turface based soil until this morning. Today, it was repotted into Clay King with a fair amount of Pumice mixed in. I raised the tree up another inch, as I want to keep as much of the deadwood out of the soil as possible. This means that the supporting wood blocks behind the trunk are visible almost an inch above the soil... but they're behind the trunk, so who cares:). I'm hoping this tree likes the new, larger grained components then the turface... and I'm hoping that @Adair M will now finally get off my back about my bonsai soil:p.
View attachment 139362 View attachment 139363 View attachment 139364 View attachment 139365 View attachment 139366 View attachment 139367
That thing is moving along nicely. Good work!!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sure the decision to change-over was already made, so what was your opinion of the root growth present at repot this time around?
Didn't seem too bad, and some fresh white roots sprinkled in.
Heck of a one man job, looks "cumbersome":eek::D:D:D
Nice green color in the sun.:cool:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 139362 View attachment 139363 View attachment 139364 View attachment 139365 View attachment 139366 View attachment 139367
Did you do a half bare root repot?

Lessee... my evil plans are working!!! First, it was the conversion from aluminum to copper wire. Then, fully mossing the pot when showing, now Boon Mix!

It's taking a while, Dave, but we'll make a Redneck out of you yet!

Oh, wait...

He's still a Pats fan!

Never mind! Lol!!!:p

Top Bottom