‘Prairie petite lilac’

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So I have this prairie petite lilac or ‘syringa vulgaris’.
Since I had a question for y’all, I figured I would start this thread to document it, and hopefully get some advice.
Purchased on sale from Ace hardware fall of 2021.
Then. 59CE99FD-582C-4451-B555-D43CBADFF297.jpeg
after a little pruning and the pot cut back. 12F7F7CE-7C3E-4157-9E38-F8C51D80B0B8.jpeg
Today I pulled it out of the garage cold frame. 81622A57-40BB-400B-9CF8-637CD98E4C75.jpeg21A68367-4C34-4C05-9D92-2776F05CE110.jpegE6EE5B2D-B50F-40E2-9BB3-DD5F802F9FE6.jpeg
The buds are green and swelling. 3027FB18-7944-4655-95CA-10912F513710.jpeg
My immediate question is whether or not I can/should do some structural pruning now, or wait.
The cold frame is set to 35* F.
Thanks!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a nice little guy sorta like this…. and a much bigger one. Personally I’m planning and waiting to cut,

btw My lilacs do great in the spring and early summer, but seem to hate midsummer and beyond, limping along, only to burst forth in springtime the next year. Shade, sun, it doesn’t seem to matter. This year I’m gonna try to water them even more and see if that will help.

cheers
DSD sends

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have a nice little guy sorta like this…. and a much bigger one. Personally I’m planning and waiting to cut,

btw My lilacs do great in the spring and early summer, but seem to hate midsummer and beyond, limping along, only to burst forth in springtime the next year. Shade, sun, it doesn’t seem to matter. This year I’m gonna try to water them even more and see if that will help.

cheers
DSD sends
Thank you. I’ll wait a bit to prune.

I wonder why they stall out in the summer.
The soil in the nursery can may be good for the species then. Very loamy and peaty, with some sand.
I want to work the roots this spring so I’m also wondering about the soil mix.
Anyways, just rambling 🤣

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine are in APL right now, both will be repotted after the upcoming freezing nights are over.

I checked and they like good drainage, humus rich soil and mulch. I think I’ll add some bark and biochar along with getting some form of top cover little plant guys too. Since I fertilize with ocmocote plus and fish emulsion/CalMag/Humic adid complex, that ought to work to boost these guys.

Fingers crossed!

cheers
DSD sends

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

cheers
DSD sends
If I may ask you one question, when you say wait to prune will you wait till after flowering?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would prune them now before that spring burst of growth. Lilac don't like heat so work it now.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Could I butt in with a quick question if it's no bother?
How well do these backbud? There are several in my yard with trunks starting at 2 feet long and an inch thick. Whether left or potted they could use some help in the aesthetics department.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lilacs can be like weeds! I’ve been trying to eradicate one in the back yard for ten…. yes you heard me….10 years!!!

Every time I dig up a new volunteer, another shows up. One bit of root left and these guys take off for the sky like there is no tomorrow! 🤯

Cheers
DSD sends!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Lilacs can be like weeds! I’ve been trying to eradicate one in the back yard for ten…. yes you heard me….10 years!!!

Every time I dig up a new volunteer, another shows up. One bit of root left and these guys take off for the sky like there is no tomorrow! 🤯

Cheers
DSD sends!
I have a Dwarf Korean Lilac in my landscaping that I bought in a 4 inch pot years ago. It's now probably 5 ft tall and wide.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a Dwarf Korean Lilac in my landscaping that I bought in a 4 inch pot years ago. It's now probably 5 ft tall and wide.
One thing that works….

Get up early in the morning and sneak up on the little buggers with a baseball bat… then swing for the fences!

…so sorry for the rant…. but the term ‘Lilac’ is a hot button around here 🤯

cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
One thing that works….

Get up early in the morning and sneak up on the little buggers with a baseball bat… then swing for the fences!

…so sorry for the rant…. but the term ‘Lilac’ is a hot button around here 🤯

cheers
DSD sends
🤯 I wasn't complaining, I love it!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good work! I’m thinking you are going for a clump bonsai? If so, I’d wire the back branch up and over to the right as seen in the photo. This will give you more depth. Lilacs have flexible, softer wood and can grow out into the wire fairly quickly, so please keep an eye on it if you choose to wire..

If not it’s sorta like a cartwheel issue aka nursery azalea.

Even the little and medium size lilacs can be styled gracefully. Here’s one we’ve had for years. The lower one is a dwarf, which Is being replaced this year with the new guy. The big Heat Dome event did it in last summer… didn’t like temps over 110 for some reason.

5AC893D5-05DC-401E-B410-DA226B7B8A6A.jpeg

Happy Friday!
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good at this point. I don't know about re-potting in a month though. I don't like re-potting most temperate zoned plants while they are actively growing. Personally, I would re-pot now.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks good at this point. I don't know about re-potting in a month though. I don't like re-potting most temperate zoned plants while they are actively growing. Personally, I would re-pot now.
Gotcha! I would love to! Thanks

Top Bottom