‘Prairie petite lilac’

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lookin' good for this time of year! I bought two good sized lilacs on sale this past spring with the intent to chop next spring. My leaves look exactly like yours.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really nice! Rabbits did a big prune to my lilac. Still alive, but didn’t like it!

Keep up the great work!

cheers
DSD sends

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Really nice! Rabbits did a big prune to my lilac. Still alive, but didn’t like it!

Keep up the great work!

cheers
DSD sends
Thank you!
I’m sure your lilac will come back hard! 🤣

I’m really hearing you on the rabbit thing!
My new grow out bed got heavily feasted upon early this winter. Like 12 plants. I didn’t see any major trunk damage at that time, but we will see after the snow leaves.🤞

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you do any trimming now, you may lose your flowers for the season.
It's probably best to let it go a season at this stage anyway. Maybe some wiring as it grows out.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Today. View attachment 480926I like what I’m seeing, but not sure how Ill handle It this year as far as trimming. I feel like I should let it grow strong for a season, and re-evaluate it later.
I love lilacs, wish I could find one like that around here. Can't wait to see it bloom. I bought a Dwarf Korean Lilac years ago and planted it in the landscape and it's huge now. I've been checking at the same nursery since I joined the hobby and never found another one there. :(

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I love lilacs, wish I could find one like that around here. Can't wait to see it bloom. I bought a Dwarf Korean Lilac years ago and planted it in the landscape and it's huge now. I've been checking at the same nursery since I joined the hobby and never found another one there. :(
Really? Wow, I must be spoiled. Gerten’s -here near St. Paul- has more quantities and varieties of clearance plants than anywhere else. It’s dangerous.
If I see a nice dwarf lilac there this year, I’ll grab it for ya. 😊

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Lil’ fall status check.
Per usual, looks not no vibrant this time of year but I’m happy with its progress. IMG_9737.jpegI didn’t do much to it this growing season aside from some pruning of long shoots. Maybe I’ll see flowers next season?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Leaves have all fell off, and it’s time to look at things IMG_0070.jpegI took a minute to ponder some future work on this lilac.
2 ideas. Orange lines represent some selective branch removal, wiring and pruning.

Green lines show another option- in simply pruning to a dome like shape.IMG_0070.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just my two cents: I think the dome looks more like a landscape lilac,and the orange lines would look more like a tree.
Either way would look good, you have done an amazing job on this lilac!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree, the dome would look too much like a well managed garden specimen.
Have you tried finding images of older big lilacs yet?
There's a house a couple blocks away with some, though they're up against the wall. Still, if you're interested I might be able to get a pic for you.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I agree, the dome would look too much like a well managed garden specimen.
Have you tried finding images of older big lilacs yet?
There's a house a couple blocks away with some, though they're up against the wall. Still, if you're interested I might be able to get a pic for you.
Yeah definitely. I’d like to see it!
I have not seen to many lilac bonsai. Just a few online.

Top Bottom