“Dwarf” Birdsnest Spruce

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I bought this BN Spruce at a Bend Nursery a few years ago. It apparently been dug out of the owners landscape, probably with a machine based on the amount of branch and root damage I found. I let it recover for a couple of years, and moved it to Washington with me. This past spring, it was ready to start work on. Whenever I need to use a loader bucket to move and repot with, I know I’m in for a bit of a job!
487B63DF-D8AC-414A-87BE-13FB1671C827.jpeg

I had to cut away a number of lower branches just to see what I was doing! The branch structure on this one was a tangled thicket.
8E48DCD9-4FD0-4D18-96BD-C078A70A4896.jpeg

Repot done. Now in a temporary mica pot.
34DE8961-A460-4697-B551-A66E2E104D86.jpeg

It responded very well this season. By the end of summer, the entire root ball had lifted over a 1/2” in the pot with numerous roots emerging on the surface.
A6B4714B-DB76-4B06-9804-59BEB7E524AD.jpeg

I was inspired by the Sitka Spruce sited on the coasts of Western Oregon and Washington. They are pounded by spray from big waves and hurricane force winds during the winter storms here. 1st style.
44639D9A-9B01-4B81-8294-4865B755F3B1.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quite a Beast you have there. Great idea for a windswept tree. Much work you have ahead but also great potential;).

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don’t want this thread to get buried!! This is such a beast of a tree! Have you gone through and fully detail wired yet? It’s got such nice bones for the future. IMO I don’t see windswept. I really like your current angle and see this tree being very special long term. 50 plus pounds for this guy?!?!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Don’t want this thread to get buried!! This is such a beast of a tree! Have you gone through and fully detail wired yet? It’s got such nice bones for the future. IMO I don’t see windswept. I really like your current angle and see this tree being very special long term. 50 plus pounds for this guy?!?!

Not detail wired yet. Just placed branches and wired so everything is getting light. I wouldn’t call it windswept currently, maybe more wind buffeted. I can lift and move it solo ok when it is dry. Saturated, a little harder.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not detail wired yet. Just placed branches and wired so everything is getting light. I wouldn’t call it windswept currently, maybe more wind buffeted. I can lift and move it solo ok when it is dry. Saturated, a little harder.
Worth the broken back IMO!! Great material!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I read somewhere in the bnut that bird nest spruces really like dense foliage so try giving it that later on.

Top Bottom