“Grey Owl” juniper

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The species of this cultivar are disputed although it’s listed as Juniperus virginiana from the nursery trade. Some argue there is chinensis in there. One thing I will say is it doesn’t have all the dreaded qualities of a virginiana.

I bought this for $10 at a local hardware store a few months ago. Being a noob, the first thing I did was scraped away at the soil to expose the surface roots. Subsequently I discovered a taproot and was at a standstill knowing if I severed that, the plant would die as it is rootbound and I destroyed much of the integrity of the fine roots at the surface. So I quit with the roots and started trimming the bush-like appearance of the foliage. Over the months of looking at it, I started using zip ties to form this cascade/windswept look. I know this is a popular noob approach but oh well, it is my first conifer pre-bonsai. In lieu of slow wire training, I used relief cuts to get some of the bends in the thicker branches. Not sure if this is kosher but it seems to have worked and the branches seem to be doing well.

I wrapped the exposed surface roots in spaghum and plastic to hopefully keep them alive and get them healthy. Eventually I will have to repot and take out that tap root. Not sure when is a good time for that. In the future I would like to create the image of a struggling, eroded out juniper on a rocky outcropping by the coast with the tree seemingly clinging on with its exposed roots. I know I need to learn how to wire and should just order some online and watch a tutorial. I’ve definitely been putting that off. I also need to get some jin pliers. Any thoughts from you all? Don’t be nice.
76CBB654-740A-48E4-AE9C-0437B2768379.jpeg
F715D1A2-013E-4D87-A514-597E8AA63FB2.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
IF you cut all the roots off, it will die. There is nothing magical about taproots. Cut the taproot off, unless in doing so it leaves you insufficient roots to survive. Generally we try to reduce the root system by less than 50% when we prune roots.

It is an old wive's tale that there is something different about tap roots. Most tree species the taproot can be cut the same as any other root. I think it is a myth that carried over from herb and flower perennial gardening. Many non-woody perennials have taproots that are principal storage systems. This has nothing to do with most trees.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
IF you cut all the roots off, it will die. There is nothing magical about taproots. Cut the taproot off, unless in doing so it leaves you insufficient roots to survive. Generally we try to reduce the root system by less than 50% when we prune roots.

It is an old wive's tale that there is something different about tap roots. Most tree species the taproot can be cut the same as any other root. I think it is a myth that carried over from herb and flower perennial gardening. Many non-woody perennials have taproots that are principal storage systems. This has nothing to do with most trees.

Yeah I agree with you. To my understanding, tap roots, unless tuberous and starch reserving like you mentioned, are present to “tap” into a water source like an aquifer and share the same nutrient exchange abilities as any other root. Its just that upon trimming the feeder peripheral roots I found myself with almost only the central taproot and very few feeders remaining. Going to give it a season then get after it.

Top Bottom