“Lowe’s-Adori” 75% Off, Excursion

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
LOL...
Raining/storming like heck all day, so I decided to visit a couple Lowe’s and see what was left of their 75% Off sale.
Paid just about $60 for all of this material.
2 BloodGood, 3 Crepe Myrtle, a Yew, and a Boxwood.
They might not look like anything right now, but I’m looking forward to doing more research on these, and working with them to create something nice.
BigBen

4B3B99DD-B634-4003-BD4C-DB02180F0B80.jpeg
CEA5E096-8C72-4308-A96F-9D8873013A7C.jpeg CD6D76C1-81E8-47B8-B2BB-F819954A45BD.jpeg

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I picked up a bunch of mislabeled harvest gold crabapple for $7 each. Ill be taking some airlayers next year and chopping a couple real low and dealing with the graft union. I have a feeling they were labeled wrong, I already have some harvest golds ive been working on and the leaf style and color of the peotle are different, there is no fruit present but even the young branches have a diffrent color. I guess well see what color flowers the spring brings and what color fruit I get next fall. And now that its brought up, I have to run to town later. Perhaps ill see whats left at home depot

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sounds like you have a good plan, Soldano666.

I was just about to stop at HD too on my way home, but decided to go either later or tomorrow, in between my sales calls. LOL...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's a great haul. Enjoy your projects! Sounds like you can keep yourself busy this winter reading up and dreaming up projects. Have fun. Those bloodgods seem like a good find. My locations only had red and sugar maple.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's a great haul. Enjoy your projects! Sounds like you can keep yourself busy this winter reading up and dreaming up projects. Have fun. Those bloodgods seem like a good find. My locations only had red and sugar maple.

Thanks Mike.
Definitely looking forward to the next learning chapter.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Ben.

I'm not hating on buying plants.

But.....

Today...
Tween sales calls....

Look for bigger trunks.

Everything has potential...
But the idea is to rape the nursery for EVERY ounce of potential.

The box...and it seems the crepes too....

Out of a hundred....
One will have a single bigger trunk.

That's the one to POSSIBLY buy.

Save the receipt...kill....return!

Join the fall contest .

Sorce

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks.

Yup, that's exactly what I was looking for, the Thickest Trunks along with Nabari possibilities, and the overall health of the trees.
So I also made sure I dug down past the "soil"/crap (leaves etc.) that was on top.

Let's see if I find anything else/better later today.
Stay tuned, film at 11.... :D

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thx.

Yes, I dug deep to find that bad-boy.
It was hidden amongst a bunch of roses.
"X" marks the spot! LOL...

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
OK, so now they’re offering their teees for only $10, and small material for $5.
I’m thinking about grabbing a couple crabapples (and maybe a couple different trees too) to work with.

They’re currently about 5’ to 8’ tall, with trunk diameters ranging from about 2” to 4” or so.

Should I scoop-up a couple of ‘em?
If so, when should they be cut way back, now, late Winter, early Spring?
What’s the right move?

Thanks again everyone!
BB

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you Soldano666.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but that should happen very late Winter/very early Spring, right?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I found 4 more mislabeled harvest gold crabs at the home depot the next town over. Ill be airlayering some,branches of the ones i put in the ground and chopping the rest close,to,the graft in hopes I can hide it or worse case grow out the understock

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Yes.... For me its about mid march to the brink of April. Catch em before they push flowers to save energy to make new shoots. Wire em quick for placement And movement cause the grow quick and lignify just as quick

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@soldano
Thanks for all of the info Soldano666!
Much appreciated!

Just got home from work, stopped at a pair of stores today to look.
Tomorrow, I'm going back to scoop-up some of those trees.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
All those trees haha. Can't stop won't stop. I put about 100 trees in the ground this year, most of which were seedlings and cuttings that need to bulk up. Now i got more bench space for 2018

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see this excursion getting more excursiony .

Sorce

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
LOL...

I guess this might be an open-ended question and it might be personal preference, but...
Once I see the buds start to swell and it's time to "WHACK" 'em down to size, approximately how high from the ground should they be cut to?

I'll even buy a nice, fresh, clean saw to "take care of them". :eek: ;) :D

Thanks Again Everyone,
BB

Top Bottom