0 knowledge, need help

Prutto

Seed
Reaction score
I have 0 knowledge in bonsai trees as I just learned today that my plant I have had for 1,5 years is a bonsai tree. All i know about it that it was a Ficus Ginseng but the grafted Ficus macrocarpa canopy died so its just a Ficus Benjamina now, this info I got from reddit and I dont know more about it. The roof thingy on it is was gone when I got it so the only thing that grows are the ones coming from the sides. I dont know what I should do with it, am I able to like cut one of the side pieces of and replant it and hope it will start grow a tree? I dont know anything about it so any general help would be nice
ficus benjamina.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

(1) Don't panic... it's alive.
(2) Where do you live? Where are you keeping your tree?
(3) What do you hope to accomplish with your tree?

Prutto

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

(1) Don't panic... it's alive.
(2) Where do you live? Where are you keeping your tree?
(3) What do you hope to accomplish with your tree?
I live in south Sweden and I keep it at my window where it gets about an hour of sun each day
What I kinda hope with it is that it will one day look more like a bonsai tree than just a few sticks and leaves.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, welcome!
You actually still have a Ficus microcarpa - the fat bulbous roots and leaf shape are indicative of Ficus microcarpa “Gensing.” Gensing is a variety of the species microcarpa. What was grafted to the top was likely another finer leaved variety of microcarpa as well.
If you’ve had it for a year and a half and it’s still doing good (based on the picture it looks like it is) then you’re doing great! Cutting the long shoots back and giving as much sun as possible will give you more ramification and give taper to the branches. But also, letting it grow is very good and important to thicken the branches and increase vigor.
All in all, just keep doing what you’re doing - it’s working 👍

Prutto

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, welcome!
You actually still have a Ficus microcarpa - the fat bulbous roots and leaf shape are indicative of Ficus microcarpa “Gensing.” Gensing is a variety of the species microcarpa. What was grafted to the top was likely another finer leaved variety of microcarpa as well.
If you’ve had it for a year and a half and it’s still doing good (based on the picture it looks like it is) then you’re doing great! Cutting the long shoots back and giving as much sun as possible will give you more ramification and give taper to the branches. But also, letting it grow is very good and important to thicken the branches and increase vigor.
All in all, just keep doing what you’re doing - it’s working 👍
What do you mean with ramification, give taper to the branches and increase vigor. Also thank you for the clarification with the pics

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Vigor; strength/health.
Ramification; 05BBD47F-2A6F-4E59-845A-BCA54281F9B0.jpeg
Taper;163EA48A-9962-4A51-B0B5-EE5FDBDC850D.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone