$1.00 Nana

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The lowes I work at is blowing out the junipers. Most are really really nasty, over watered and sunbaked. I grabbed this one hoping for a semi-cascade in the future.

It was pretty much dead in the middle, the branches where completely spongey. I got it 2 weeks ago. Pruned out all the dead stuff in the middle. And then waited. Almost forgot there was no pot on this one when I got it, so I slipped it into the only little pot I had, so no making fun of my pot.

I have so far done nothing to the roots. Since the pruning, growth has taken off like crazy, but no back budding. Since it appears to be much happier now, I thought I would post some pics and see what everybody has to say.

Constructive critism is greatly appreciated. And I think I finally got the hang of uploading photos that are large enough to see.

Thanks,
Bill

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Almost forgot size reference... The main trunk is only 1 3/4 inch tall from the soil. All the green branch growth is new in the last 2 weeks.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Almost forgot size reference... The main trunk is only 1 3/4 inch tall from the soil. All the green branch growth is new in the last 2 weeks.

Looks dang good!
Let it recover for a long time before you touch it!
May want to slip pot it into a larger pot with out disturbing the roots.
Irene

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know what you see.

What I see:
I see a potential!
From the description he gave: I see Lots of New Growth.
I see a budding Bonsaist!
I see someone who took the time to save a plant.
I see someone who also took the time to resize and post his picture and asking for help.
I also see where he asked for Constructive Criticsim.

What do you see Paul?
That is Constructive and not Destructive.
Irene

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I know to most seasoned bonsaists, I have crap stock. I buy stock right now for one reason to learn on. I am not gonna invest in a $100+ stock that I will probably kill with my limited knowledge. So I figured with this little guy I can learn firstly that I can save a tree that more than likely would have been dead by now.

And as far as I am concerned this little guy has a lot of character. Hopefully with a flush of new foliage in the spring, some pruning and some wiring, I can make a decent little semi-cascade.

I know I wont ever win a contest with it, but then again I didnt get into bonsai for contests. I got into it because it is relaxing for me to sit and prune and look at my crap stock. I do things to my stock that deffinatley shouldnt be done this time of year and I know that.

But what the hell, even if its crap stock, if I dont kill it. I can plant it. For a buck whats to lose. One less soda I got to drink.
And a ton of knowledge to gain.

So I guess to word my question:

If someone was holding a gun to your head and said style this tree. How would you style it?

Bill

1959_heidim

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what you see.

What I see:
I see a potential!
From the description he gave: I see Lots of New Growth.
I see a budding Bonsaist!
I see someone who took the time to save a plant.
I see someone who also took the time to resize and post his picture and asking for help.
I also see where he asked for Constructive Criticsim.

I like, very much what you see, Mom, and the way you think. Bless you.
1959heidim

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
LOL Buddhamonk.
Thank You 1959Heidim. I do tend to speak my mind.
Paul, at one time you were also new at this.
BigBill, I agree.
But due to it's health I would not touch it other than to slip pot.
It needs the time to regain it's full health.
I can see the cascade as well.
Next spring post pics so we can see how well it has come back.
Irene

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Bill, The honest truth (IMO) is that basically it is a unremarkable Juniper right now. It is hard to say what style it should be. How big or small it should be. I think Irenes advise is good. Slip pot it into another slightly larger pot and get it vigorous.

The other side of bonsai and the most important part is the horticultural side. While dwelling on the artistic side we can see results immediately or we get to flex or gray matter muscle (no matter how big or small ;) ) that is fun and stimulating part. The horticultural side isn't quite as quick to please, as results from our actions sometimes take a very long time to get results. Soooo....While its doing its thing , you should do yours. Do image searches, read books and look for pictures of material that is similar to yours and what can be achieved. Glean what information is there and see what options are open to you in 1 year,2 years,8 years.

To start you off I suggest reading this thread by Al Keppler (smoke,Bonsaial) good stuff for laying plans on future design plans. Then this following thread that someone took that advise and applied it on a Home Depot juniper.

Good luck and show us where your headed and how the juniper is doing next spring.

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks Tom. This is all I was looking for. An insightful constructive reply.

Thank you sir.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bill- This is a response to this thread and the Disnenchanted thread. I will post here because of a link. In no particular order of importance...

a) I started my bonsai path with a similar juniper back about 1997 or so. The difference was I only had one Collin Lewis book - no other books, no magazines, club participation, forums, etc. So, I was on my own and had to make artistic decisions as opposed to asking for help. The juniper ended up with a nice flow, deadwood, cascading branch and finally as a chewing post for some deviant squirrels. My point is I understand the need to purchase this tree and practice on it. You can't be expected to come on down to OB and drop $500 on a RMJ and make magic with it (hey, I don't/won't even do that...).
b) This tree as is sits looks like a spider that stuck its head in a pot. You need to think of what would happen in nature - nature is rough, where rocks, logs, snow fall, wind, bears, etc. have at this for a few centuries before you stumble upon it... It should have harmonious flow and direction, dead wood, appropriate pot, foliage, etc. This will take 3-5 years or so to get to that point, not overnight, but understand that what you show here is not nearly finished nor the direction you should take it. Also, I know what I would do, but refer to point A on this - and I will leave you to learn through all the means that I never had (i.e. it will be easier and quicker).
c) After about 5 years of fiddling with bonsai I lost interest and didn't do much for a year or two. I then found IBC and Jason and I hooked up with OB. In the beginning of that IBC experience I wrote many threads just like the Disenchanted one saying the old timers should help us newbies out! It was their responsibility and my right! Yeah, whatever. The reality is if you have specific questions, ask them, and you will get good answers. Be polite, kind, straight forward and you will be treated as such. Ask for generalities, complete styling advice, why a dead tree won't sprout, etc. and you will tend to get the answers you don't want. I think a big part of it is those questions have been asked thousands of times and people get tired of answering them. You are in the wrong place at the wrong time - do not take it personally!
d) Read this thread and assocaited one: http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2007/07/garbage-for-dinner.html . I think a lot of the people here have been around for awhile and are all strongly attempting to improve their collection. I personally have had a light switch click in my head. I have decided I am not going to f__k around any more with this. If it is not subjectively a killer tree, if it does not have subjective world class potential, if it is not subjectively exponentially better than something else in my collection, or if it doesn't definitely bring a tear to my eye - it stays where it is. If it meets one of the above in my subjective reasoning, it comes home and something goes into the garbage, the yard, the neighbors house or maybe Ebay (someday). Enough is enough. No more garbage. I am also at that point in seeking out information, and when a thread is titled $1.00 Nana - I skip it. Sorry. It is not you. Don't take it personally! But, my gut feeling is there are a lot of others that did the same thing. See point C. In the beginning I would not have understood and would have called someone like me arrogant and condescending. I now see the world through different eyes and call that person (me) time sensitive...
e) Da Nut is a great forum. It is my favorite and first I go to every morning, in fact. However, you will never get all the information or see all the things you want only on this one. I wish it were the case, as I hate carrying on multiple conversations/threads with the same people on 3 sites! I can never remember who said what and where... Anyway, make sure you spend time on bonsaisite, bonsaitalk, bonsaichat, IBC, AoB, KoB, Walter's blog, and all the blogs linked through KoB. I am sure there are more. I am sure you will find bits of info and the feedback you seek at that point in time from one of them.
f) Hang in there. Keep up bonsai. Keep checking the forums. Keep bitchin' about not getting enough help. Keep learning. You'll go through the same development cycle that we all (must) go through.
g) You and/or everyone else may or may not agree, but that is how I see the world on the other side of my Dell.
h)When you are ready to come out and buy trees, our door is always open...

"Preparations A through G met with total failure. However, Preparation H is going ahead..."
- Dr. Evil

Edit: Thanks, and point taken Tom. ;)

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I personally have had a light switch click in my head. I have decided I am not going to f__k around any more with this. If it is not a killer tree, if it does not have world class potential, if it is not exponentially better than something else in my collection

When a person has that revelation and actually takes action based on that belief. Its a quantum leap forward in that persons journey down the bonsai road.

I remember when the light switch clicked...wow.. what a feeling. I will remember that moment in my education till the day I take my dirt bath.

Rich the only thing I would hesitate on in your statement is world class potential...a set of words that really has no set definition. This we found out from previous threads. :) I do get what your saying though and agree.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
"Big Bill",

I would like to post this scetch of your little juniper.When I showed the little tree to Ernie he
first joked and said you overpayed the juniper.'It is only worth 50 cents...':D
But then he went into his den and came back with this..

I think it could come out really nice,
all the best luck for this little guy,

dorothy "Cascade" :cool:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
"Big Bill",

I would like to post this scetch of your little juniper.When I showed the little tree to Ernie he
first joked and said you overpayed the juniper.'It is only worth 50 cents...':D
But then he went into his den and came back with this..

I think it could come out really nice,
all the best luck for this little guy,

dorothy "Cascade" :cool:

Nice drawing!
It will take awhile for the juni to get to the point where styling can begin.
It needs to be nurtured for a while to get real healthy.
Mom

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bill, Dorothy and Ernie are note worthy artists. So if they think you can go somewhere with this take heart. Your getting great counseling:). Its lucky for them I live up north or I would be on there doorstep morning, noon, and night.

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I thank you so much Dorothy... and tell Ernie thnk you also. I'm gonna print that out and keep it with me. That is exactly what I saw when I picked that poor little guy up.

I appreciate it more than you could ever know.

Bill

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice drawing!
It will take awhile for the juni to get to the point where styling can begin.
It needs to be nurtured for a while to get real healthy.
Mom

Very true and sometimes not enough understood.

-dorothy

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Bill, Dorothy and Ernie are note worthy artists. So if they think you can go somewhere with this take heart. Your getting great counseling:). Its lucky for them I live up north or I would be on there doorstep morning, noon, and night.

Thanks Tom,but honestly Ernie is the artist.I am just a student trying to find the trail..
The first time I visited BonsaiNut I noticed a post by your daughter Taylor.That post was the sweetest I ever saw on any forum!!My regards and humble respect to the little lady!:)

-dorothy

Top Bottom