Votes: 4 30.8%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Zach2

Seedling
Last night I styled this lovely shimpaku at a workshop, but left very dissatisfied with the result. With the magic of Microsoft paint, I present 4 different variations on this tree. I'd really like your input!

1: Status Quo
IMG_20181108_072216.jpg

2: More Compact
Bunjin right branch removed.jpg

3: Hardly Anything at All
Bunjin both branches removed.jpg

4: Dynamic
Bunjin dynamic.jpg

Thanks for voting!

Brian Van Fleet

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7B
I wouldn’t recommend taking any more off at this point, especially if you’re headed into winter. When it does fill in a bit more, it would help the design if you removed the foliage hanging below the branch lines (outlined in red). Later, you might consider adding more movement to some of the branches (yellow arrows), and make an apex. Apices are difficult to style at first, until you realize it’s simply another pad.
C1C7963F-EE12-4BCE-8483-CBBE0663A615.jpeg

Zach2

Seedling
I wouldn’t recommend taking any more off at this point, especially if you’re headed into winter. When it does fill in a bit more, it would help the design if you removed the foliage hanging below the branch lines (outlined in red). Later, you might consider adding more movement to some of the branches (yellow arrows), and make an apex. Apices are difficult to style at first, until you realize it’s simply another pad.
View attachment 216851
Thanks for your advice. You would keep all these branches in the final design?

Brian Van Fleet

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks for your advice. You would keep all these branches in the final design?
Too early to tell, but I definitely wouldn’t be taking any more off now. Let it grow into the design, and take another look in 6 months or so. If you get too hasty, you could end up losing the tree.

USDA Zone
6b
i like the first three options but voted for the third. I'd love to have a tree like that on my bench. definitely take it slow, this tree is cool

on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Zach2 - nice tree, nice start, this is young material, it needs to develop in stages. You got an excellent development plan from @Brian Van Fleet , if I were you I would stick to his plan as closely as the tree will allow. Nicely done directions Brian.