1 Low Bud - How to Proceed?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Its been some time since I chopped this tree and so far only one really low bud has grown. Assuming this will be the only bud, how should I proceed? I guess I would like to cut the trunk on an angle at some point, but this bud is really low and I'd be cutting into nebari. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• lowbud.jpg
    lowbud.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 67

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd just let it run this year. Do not try to cut the angle and hope for another bud to pop higher. If nothing else you can use the stub to help with leverage while wiring some movement into your new trunk

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This happens occasionally with large chops. The stump looks like Japanese maple? Sometimes caused by infection through the cut or through roots, sometimes just a response to sudden stop of sap flow. Sometimes no obvious cause.
It is possible you are just worrying too early. Sometimes buds take longer to show on older wood - fingers crossed.
If you decide to keep working with it, definitely let it grow all year and possibly 2 years to regain strength. Only reduce trunks to new leader when the leader is strong and you can be certain lots of sap flow from roots to that leader.

If no further buds emerge it is likely that some roots have/will also die as no shoots above to feed them. Also likely that the other side of that trunk will die off.
I've seen some success grafting new shoots onto stumps that have recently failed to shoot but success is not assured and not sure it would be worth the trouble.

Assuming this will be the only bud, how should I proceed?
I would probably call it quits and start over with new material but you'll need to make that call.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would probably call it quits and start over with new material but you'll need to make that call.
I hear ya. On the plus side, it only cost me $15 and I view this as for $15 I finally understand what people are talking about when they discuss "better" material (OK, it cost me more than $15 in trees to get here, but whatever).

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Waiting game. Keep watching and watering with warmer weather coming.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As a follow up, another bud appeared one node higher up. Hoping this is a good sign and that there is more to come. Whatever happens, at least I now have a stump I can work with.

Top Bottom