1 tree for 2 future shohin shimpaku. #simplesketch for ref.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wasn't exactly "rocking out" with you on removing the sacrifices, but you straight sold me with the sketch!

Nice!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
less is more"

Oh most of the time!

I was thinking cut back to them cuz compact is always the first car on my thought train!

I'm still on the fence with my Shimp.
Don't know if I "fancy them".

I'd be happy to read any and all otherwise seemingly nonsense notes if you have any to share!

Sorce

Reaction score
Oh most of the time!

I was thinking cut back to them cuz compact is always the first car on my thought train!

I'm still on the fence with my Shimp.
Don't know if I "fancy them".

I'd be happy to read any and all otherwise seemingly nonsense notes if you have any to share!

Sorce
Time will decide whats best for our tree interms of design. One simple thought of mine, any weird placement on branches or movement is always the best future jin and just put them(the uncertain part) on the 'sacrificial' side for the moment (just to make self happy at your shimp current stages)....

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hmm. I like the drawing, but I have an idea you may want to consider and draw. You have good drawing skills btw. Anyway, I like the idea of taking the right branch, and jinning only the top two subdivisions of that branch. Leaving the bottom subdivision alive. Then, you have something green to fill in a touch of that negative space, but still engage with the deadwood, directly. Another option within that would be to save the top portion of the branch and make the two lowest parts jins, carrying the deadwood to the soil line. As well as carrying the deadwood on the left side down to the soil line. I would like to see your sketch of one of those two ideas. I wonder if I would still feel that way after it was drawn. Just food for thought. End design is your own decision obviously, but I do think more play between the live and dead at the bottom would nicely mirror the play of live and deadwood at the top. Fantastic idea and drawing though. Definitely forces the perspective of a tall, tortured tree.

Reaction score
Hmm. I like the drawing, but I have an idea you may want to consider and draw. You have good drawing skills btw. Anyway, I like the idea of taking the right branch, and jinning only the top two subdivisions of that branch. Leaving the bottom subdivision alive. Then, you have something green to fill in a touch of that negative space, but still engage with the deadwood, directly. Another option within that would be to save the top portion of the branch and make the two lowest parts jins, carrying the deadwood to the soil line. As well as carrying the deadwood on the left side down to the soil line. I would like to see your sketch of one of those two ideas. I wonder if I would still feel that way after it was drawn. Just food for thought. End design is your own decision obviously, but I do think more play between the live and dead at the bottom would nicely mirror the play of live and deadwood at the top. Fantastic idea and drawing though. Definitely forces the perspective of a tall, tortured tree.
Thanks for the time on your thought. Will try to draw it on monday..no tools for me to draw atm. That drawing is drawn during my powerbreak in the office.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the taller tree... the sketch looks good but the Jin at the top is a bit much IMO. I would shorten it..

I agree. However it is always easy to shorten it after the fact - and you can create easy virtuals with an art program before you make your final decision.

Of the five jins in the sketch, I personally would only only keep two. The one off the apex (shortened) and the highest trunk jin on the right side. You can turn the jins on the trunk into shari if needed. Then, pot it up in a shallower pot, slightly off-center with the apex centered over the middle.

bonsai.jpg

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can't decide if i like the short jin or long one on top...i think i like the long one

fewer jins on the side might be the way to go....accentuates the height which is becoming the dominant feature to display

Reaction score
I agree. However it is always easy to shorten it after the fact - and you can create easy virtuals with an art program before you make your final decision.

Of the five jins in the sketch, I personally would only only keep two. The one off the apex (shortened) and the highest trunk jin on the right side. You can turn the jins on the trunk into shari if needed. Then, pot it up in a shallower pot, slightly off-center with the apex centered over the middle.

View attachment 160021
Clean look. I love it. thanks bonsai nut for creating this illustration. Yup, jin can be shorten accordingly from time to time. That shallow pot and the offset position u did increase the visual.
Just one question. Should i start to move the tree slowly to a shallow pot now(by stages perhaps or)? As,this is roughly the size of the tree i wanted after all.
Scared the root system in that deep pot getting too big ends up cutting more than 50% of the root and weaken the tree...any thoughts?
Cheers

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Clean look. I love it. thanks bonsai nut for creating this illustration. Yup, jin can be shorten accordingly from time to time. That shallow pot and the offset position u did increase the visual.
Just one question. Should i start to move the tree slowly to a shallow pot now(by stages perhaps or)? As,this is roughly the size of the tree i wanted after all.
Scared the root system in that deep pot getting too big ends up cutting more than 50% of the root and weaken the tree...any thoughts?
Cheers

Do it slowly. First wait for early spring. Then remove it from the current pot, reducing the bottom roots a little bit but not touching any roots on the top of the root ball. Try to spread the roots out as much as you can without heavy trimming. Then plant the tree in a shallow container with the bottom of the root ball on the bottom of the container. Fill the container with good bonsai soil, and your tree should throw a lot of healthy, shallow, radial roots. Once the tree has developed a good pad of shallow roots, you can reduce the downward growing roots even more without stressing the tree. Eventually it will be ready to move into a shallow pot. This is also a good time to try to develop the nebari as much as possible, by planting at a depth that highlights a flair at the base of the trunk where the trunk meets the soil.

Reaction score
Do it slowly. First wait for early spring. Then remove it from the current pot, reducing the bottom roots a little bit but not touching any roots on the top of the root ball. Try to spread the roots out as much as you can without heavy trimming. Then plant the tree in a shallow container with the bottom of the root ball on the bottom of the container. Fill the container with good bonsai soil, and your tree should throw a lot of healthy, shallow, radial roots. Once the tree has developed a good pad of shallow roots, you can reduce the downward growing roots even more without stressing the tree. Eventually it will be ready to move into a shallow pot. This is also a good time to try to develop the nebari as much as possible, by planting at a depth that highlights a flair at the base of the trunk where the trunk meets the soil.
Thanks Bonsai Nut for the tips. Screenshot_20170911-021414.png

After repot should i cover the nebari with sphagnum moss(wont work like deciduous tree i guess) to furthur developing the nebari or do we have other method to do so?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After repot should i cover the nebari with sphagnum moss(wont work like deciduous tree i guess) to furthur developing the nebari or do we have other method to do so?

I am not aware of anyone getting new roots to form from the base of a juniper by using sphagnum moss. Most people that I know use approach grafts to graft on small saplings. After the graft has taken, you can remove the top of the sapling, but the roots remain to feed the mother tree,

Reaction score
I am not aware of anyone getting new roots to form from the base of a juniper by using sphagnum moss. Most people that I know use approach grafts to graft on small saplings. After the graft has taken, you can remove the top of the sapling, but the roots remain to feed the mother tree,
ah I see. by grafting. noted. Thanks Bonsai nut.
will find a suitable day to repot it by stages as you mention.
cheers. :)

Reaction score
Tree update.
Changed to shallow pot(1st stage).
Slightly Reposition along with the future jin. Thin out top left future jin's pad so that it won't block the light into the important pad.
tmp-cam-1403425733.jpg
Kinda wet. luckily not much root to be cut back. Roughly 15% before repot(downward roots). By the way..the bottom wet soil in the pot keeps my upper part soil cool in my hot weather. Not gonna lie..control watering is kinda hard on this.

New pot. Old soil in the rootball and a whole new soil to top. Akadama.
tmp-cam-1062342968.jpg
tmp-cam-1205325788.jpg
Future jin. Thinned out the future jin so it won't block the light to the other padtmp-cam-278285819.jpg tmp-cam-1687338969.jpg
For the time being...will place my future jin in between this area. Will reposition it in future if needed.

Reaction score
WTF! Have you explored the market for sketching of trees?

That is wicked!

Sorce
all those sketch just for fun only :)
Is there even market for it? hmm..if do, i won't have the time for it anyway..haha..
cheers.
thanks Sorce

Top Bottom