1-year-old Acer Palmatum seedlings repot?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got about a dozen of these Japanese Maple seedlings that I started last year. Since it was in my pre-bonsai period (like the Jura age and such) they grew their first year in regular potting soil. Now my question is if I should repot them in akadama/DE and do a little root work or just leave them in the potting soil for another year. I'd appreciate your input on this.

20180225_104000[11235].jpg

Reaction score
I am in the same sittuation, bad soil mix for 6 months old seedlings. Is it fine to change the soil to a modern mix with great drainage and aeration?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got about a dozen of these Japanese Maple seedlings that I started last year. Since it was in my pre-bonsai period (like the Jura age and such) they grew their first year in regular potting soil. Now my question is if I should repot them in akadama/DE and do a little root work or just leave them in the potting soil for another year. I'd appreciate your input on this.

View attachment 179238
There's a cute little juniper in there too! Lol
I'd wait until the buds swell, than do a repot. I'd bareroot and snip the taproot back to where you have roots emerging in all directions from the trunk. Than get it into your soilmix.

Aaron

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Usually you don't mess with seedlings until the third year, but you can remove the tap root now.

Better soil in spring, try to get a radial root base in an early stage.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 179238

What did you end up doing and how are they?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As promised...

Pic 1: a seedling that I pruned back to about 5" and put some movement in the trunk last fall (picture taken 2.5 months ago)
Pic 2: that same seedling today
Pic 3: one that I didn't prune (about 18" high)
Pic 4: Poor effort of photographing my 11 1 year old Acer P seedlings

20180225_104000[11235].jpg20180506_201613.jpg20180506_201633.jpg20180506_201452.jpgAs promised:

Top Bottom