1 year Osage trees for sale

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have about 20 1 year old Osage orange trees in one gal pots about 6-12 inches tall if anyone is interested. Shipping them bare root. Asking $20 each with free shipping. You can message me here or purchase through my Etsy store.
https://etsy.me/3HokYBJ

I also have silver maples and white and red oaks available. Pm me for details if interested.

Attachments

• F3335D22-BCE2-4D64-96AF-89FD414D2A3B.jpeg
    F3335D22-BCE2-4D64-96AF-89FD414D2A3B.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool cool!

How big are the oaks?

Aaand I don't think the Osage would make the cold, perilous, bare-root journey to me... yet... but I AM interested in having one.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cool cool!

How big are the oaks?

Aaand I don't think the Osage would make the cold, perilous, bare-root journey to me... yet... but I AM interested in having one.
They are small one year seedlings, about 6 inch range. Perfect starts for a forest

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They are small one year seedlings, about 6 inch range. Perfect starts for a forest
like IN their first year.. or ON their second? If germinated outdoors I'd assume they are JUST about to START their second.

Either way, neat!

I can accidentally Drool into the wind and it'll hit some "Oaklings".. I just know people love Oaks, so I thought I'd get a little more info out of you.. try to get things ROLLING..

I AM interested in at least one of the Osage..but wouldn't be able to safely get it shipped here until the end of March at the Earliest.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
like IN their first year.. or ON their second? If germinated outdoors I'd assume they are JUST about to START their second.

Either way, neat!

I can accidentally Drool into the wind and it'll hit some "Oaklings".. I just know people love Oaks, so I thought I'd get a little more info out of you.. try to get things ROLLING..

I AM interested in at least one of the Osage..but wouldn't be able to safely get it shipped here until the end of March at the Earliest.
Yes the oaks are last years seedlings so they are now going into their 2nd year. Also there is a couple pots with 2 and 3 Osage seedlings that may turn into double and triple trunk trees eventually. just remind me when you think they can withstand the journey and I’d be happy to send you a few.

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are the Osage orange seeds in the middle of the hedge apple? Is there one seed per fruit or a bunch of 'em? Been around them all my life but never examined one closely.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are the Osage orange seeds in the middle of the hedge apple? Is there one seed per fruit or a bunch of 'em? Been around them all my life but never examined one closely.
There is a bunch of seeds in each hedge apple, kind of like a kiwi. I have never harvested them myself but everything I’ve seen says to put them in a bucket of water for the winter and let the fruit rot away from the seeds to separate or just stir and pour the slurry where you want Osage trees to sprout.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Funny how things work out. I picked this odd fruit looking thing off the ground and broke open lots of seeds. The inside was kinda mushy, it had laid there all winter. I planted the seeds in a container and now I have about 30 seedlings growing. I had wondered what it was and now I know. Its not a normal tree that grows around here. And dont know how it got there.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I grew mine from seeds that I collected off the ground at a park.

You let the fruit turn brownish and mushy, then you cut it open and you need to essentially find the seeds in the pulp. Some people mashem up in water, lay them in a ditch and grow em that way.

Its a messy process. Lol.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Funny how things work out. I picked this odd fruit looking thing off the ground and broke open lots of seeds. The inside was kinda mushy, it had laid there all winter. I planted the seeds in a container and now I have about 30 seedlings growing. I had wondered what it was and now I know. Its not a normal tree that grows around here. And dont know how it got there.
It is funny how that works. Historically the Osage has been a heavily utilized tree throughout history. From the Osage native American tribe for wood for bows and tools to the early pioneers and settlers for “living fences” and foundation sills it has managed to find its way all over the United States. It’s native range is Texas through Oklahoma. Humans are the only reason it’s found in the other places it grows now. There’s a couple in a local park growing around the ruins of a homestead that dates back to the revolutionary war period. They are definitely a very unique tree to have.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like them so far. Heres a few of mine from my batch of seeds in 2020:

20220528_231234.jpg
20220528_091514.jpg20220528_231251.jpg20220528_091526.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like them so far. Heres a few of mine from my batch of seeds in 2020:

View attachment 439136
View attachment 439137View attachment 439138View attachment 439139
Those are looking good! I’m a year behind you and they are growing fast now. They are about 18-24 inches tall. I have about 20 left in one gallon pots but I have a patch that I’ve been growing in my seed starting bed that was planted the same year but they are only about 5-6 inches tall with super tight internodes. There’s about 30-40 in a 24-24 inch square. I’m thinking about making a forest out of them next year. I just sent a triple tree pot to @HorseloverFat this past week. I’m excited to see what he does with his.

Top Bottom