1 year progression FB marketplace house plant!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Found this a little over a year ago for $50 on the marketplace.

24274122-0156-4051-A75E-00B2F70A5AB3.jpegCBFE4047-6AFB-430C-8C67-407D475A9DF2.jpeg

A bushy ball with no shape at all and the worst branch structure I’ve ever seen. The lady I purchased it from said she would trim it back every year just before she brought it inside for winter. Anyway my wife loved it the way it was lol and didn’t want me trunk chopping it. Which I was very close to doing. Decided to leave the tall slenderness and just whack it back hard and regrow the branching

B5A7A588-1A04-4FE5-9FA9-7BF4C5C1EAD2.jpeg29E53A33-AB43-43A7-ADE1-32CE9DFFC678.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought this ficus was gonna back bud like crazy, but I’ve learned this particular species dosent back bud as well as other species of ficus. Only shot sprouts up top basically, so I grew the top a little taller for more branching. Here it is after a semi styling

94AD0989-0B1A-46EA-9A39-DB886CC92904.jpeg

And here it is after a repot and slight angle adjustment

CD29788F-B6A2-4FBB-B0BA-3C50E739FB62.jpeg

It was in regular potting mix and was very happy, so I give it about 40% potting mix and and whole lot of akadama, pumice, pine bark and lava rock. Been a couple weeks since repot and hasnt missed a beat.

So whatcha guys think?? It’s coming along. Although I was looking for opinions on a possible thread graft for a lower branch. The side/front I have posted, it dosent look bad but other angles I feel it needs another branch a few inches under the lowest branch.

Advise is always appreciated...

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorce ficus
Check out this thread if you haven't already some good information and ideas. Thread graft is a good idea down low. What are your plans for this? Do you like the long straight section? or do you want movement in the trunk?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the reply. That was a good read too. Think I’ll respond to thread and see if we can’t get an update on that Frankenstein ficus!

I have made movement in the upper trunk. I don’t mind the straight section at all although some may disagree. I also don’t think it’s possible to add move to that section aside from thread grafting branches down low and allowing them to bulk up and then cut them back for more of a gnarled trunk look. Don’t see any other way. Like I said, I thought about chopping but glad I didnt. I’m actually in love with the tree the way it sits. But I’m no expert. 20 years from now I might look back on this photo and say “what the hell was I thinking”!

Where am I going with it? An informal upright. So not much further aside from possibly grafting a branch a few inches under the lowest branch and grow it out long enough so the thickness matches or exceeds the next branch. Maybe that would balance the tree a little more....

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Just curious (I'm n00b)... but would it be possible to bend-up that straight, big and solid trunk by splitting it (via a big branch splitter) or notching in certain places? Or, would that kill the tree and/or leave huge scars?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I definitely don’t think that would kill the tree. How do these heal over, what I’ve seen they can cause some reverse taper issues.

Top Bottom