$10 Dwarf Alberta Spruce

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I bought this tree for $10 two days after Christmas two years ago. I chopped it way to hard and have been on the fence about it as a twin trunk / formal upright. It has a decent bace and some taper, but has some big gaps that I don't think will ever will in.

Last night while looking at the tree I came up with this rough plan for the tree to give up some of its height and try to make a shorter more interesting tree.
PXL_20230423_164630410~3.jpg

I'm not sure if I should just abandon the second trunk

I think this is a good time to do the chop so the tree can recover for the rest of the summer?

Motus

Seedling
Reaction score
I kind of like it the way it is with the two trunks. But the main trunk is a bit tall, I would Jin the big leader near the end of the smaller trunk in the right.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm considering buying this pot to go with this tree, I think the size is about right for where I want to chop the tree this spring at 8-9 inches. I feel a little uncertain buying a pot that costs 8 times what the tree cost. But this seems fairly close to the going rate for pots this size?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm considering buying this pot to go with this tree, I think the size is about right for where I want to chop the tree this spring at 8-9 inches. I feel a little uncertain buying a pot that costs 8 times what the tree cost. But this seems fairly close to the going rate for pots this size

Recent photo of the tree:
PXL_20231007_215246445.jpg

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I would not recommend buying a finish pot for this tree at this stage. Here are a few thoughts:

- Spruce like a lot of water so soil water retention and pot size are very important.
- You would minimally need the large size of this pot, maybe something even deeper than the one you've linked.
- I would start with something "oversized" compared to the conventional ratio and see how the tree responds. You can reduce pot size from there.
- I would start by putting this into a plastic trainer bonsai pot. You can get one in the right size for $10 or less.
- You are still in development with this tree, so plunking it into a bonsai pot right now it not recommended. It still needs growth and refinement.
- You could still kill the tree during repotting and refinement, all the more reason to repot into a cheap plastic pot first.

Top Bottom