$10 nursery stock question

Matt02rt

Seedling
Reaction score
Found this unknow juniper species for $10 at a local nursery. The trunk is about 2". I am going to leave it along till spring but saw that it looks like it has adult and juvenile foliage. What is the best was to promote adult foliage? I am still deciding how to style it, but I thinking I like picture 1 as front with the three small branches pointing at you removed. Suggestions welcome.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Nice starter stock there. You'll have some work to do chasing the foliage back, but that not that difficult on a juniper.

As for the type of foliage: my understanding is that a "typical" juniper species will revert to juvenile foliage for a while if stressed significantly. So keep it happy and healthy, and in a couple of years it should be producing all adult foliage.

Unless, that is, it's a member of a handful of atypical species that don't follow proper juniper dogma. :p

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think there are some varieties that tend to produce both types of foliage. I have a Parson's juniper that does that, though it is mostly adult type.

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a nursery stock Chinese Juniper that I need to do this on. What's the best way?

Post your tree in a separate thread here in the juniper section. Make sure to include pics and some history about the tree. Such as how long you have had it, where is it kept and other details.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The best way ( and I hate to say this ) to promote adult foliage is to not do anything that will promote Juvenile foliage. Things like pruning too hard, fertilizing too much, not fertilizing enough, moving the tree around too much, repotting too often, Keeping it in the shade, keeping it in full sun, talking to it harshly and sowing it pictures of naked women. With the exception of the last two points meant as jokes this is a difficult issue except with Shimpaku Junipers.

Sometimes, just in the beginning, when you are working with development and style, juvenile foliage is going to be your reward until the tree is stabilized in the new from you have set for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom