$10 Prariefire crabapple, draw me some lines please?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The quick-quick root extravaganza must be thanks to your top soil. I use pure, non-perfumed cat sand to get the job done. What are you using?
Topsoil
tell me you got "high with kings"....hehehe
Yeah, years ago with this English King Boxwood.image.jpgBut he never inhaled :(

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it is still living and getting ready to bloom.image.jpeg
Don't really know what I will do with it other than let it grow. I left it out all winter unprotected, thought it wouldn't make it.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Really excellent results, Stickroot! Both grens have survived and budding. You couldn't ask for more than that. Letting it grow is definitely also the best decision, I'm sure. That 'split' is going be a main feature of the tree once it becomes established and sturdy. I can already picture it in my mind ........
thought.png

...... the thick trunk base eventually lending itself to taper of the lower half of the trunk over-all, and a great flush of foliage/blooms/fruit(?) Is it showing signs of budding on the outer side of the branches?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really excellent results, Stickroot! Both grens have survived and budding. You couldn't ask for more than that. Letting it grow is definitely also the best decision, I'm sure. That 'split' is going be a main feature of the tree once it becomes established and sturdy. I can already picture it in my mind ........
thought.png

...... the thick trunk base eventually lending itself to taper of the lower half of the trunk over-all, and a great flush of foliage/blooms/fruit(?) Is it showing signs of budding on the outer side of the branches?
Thanks! It does have buds all over it. Any new buds on the insides I have rubbed off.
I am curious to know what she says now. Eating her words, hmmmmmmm?
images
she doesn't even know I have it anymore. As soon as it blooms I will show her, she will say "oh, that's MY tree" and then forget about it again.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
.... she doesn't even know I have it anymore. As soon as it blooms I will show her, she will say "oh, that's MY tree" and then forget about it again.

I do understand that. My wife started complaining that I have ”too many” so I stopped telling her when I brought something home. I now sneak them in and if it's large I stick it into a corner or behind other trees. If she does notice it I usually say, ”What? Oh, that one. I've have it for at least several months!” Ha-ha!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do understand that. My wife started complaining that I have ”too many” so I stopped telling her when I brought something home. I now sneak them in and if it's large I stick it into a corner or behind other trees. If she does notice it I usually say, ”What? Oh, that one. I've have it for at least several months!” Ha-ha!
I am fairly positive that this is a common practice:)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can attest to this statement lmfao:p always sneaking plants home. It doesn't help I work at a nursery.

Aaron
You just need to leave the ones in training at the nursery. I have a bunch at my business in beds and some at my friends tree farm, secret!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
LOL, I enjoyed this thread, nice flowers @Stickroot

you can make this design work. Going forward, if it were mine, I'd use and sprouts that happen to appear in the unbranched portion of trunk as escape sacrifice branches. One or two should be enough, lowest one should be allowed to run for many years.

Your first segment of 2 sub trunks is fine. The left subtrunk, where it divides to 2 branches, the lower left is too thick. I would remove it entirely, and chop the right side to an inch above its first branch. Thats what I would do with the right side.

Left side sub trunk, I would shorten both branches by about 1/3 rd. Each level of ramification I would keep extension shorter than the segment below it.

Basically, you have an informal broom style going. The type of broonm where it follows the 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 plan. This is a common pattern followed often by many tree species, very natural looking. American elm is the classic for this pattern. Maples frequently follow this plan, though in maples, the 2 subtrunks often are much longer than the initial single trunk segment. Nice start. This tree I would finish at roughly a third taller than current.

Though if this were mine, my first impulse would have been to follow BVTF's suggestion. But I like shohin. The plan you went with will be a pleasant bonsai in maybe as little as another 5 years.

Keep it in a nursery pot, and growing rapidly until you have the 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 portion up to size. By size, I mean trunk diameter up where you want it. Don't downsize the pot until the trunk is at least 2 inches in diameter, maybe more. Let a low escape run, 6 feet would not be too long.

Nice, and I love the flower color, and foliage color.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg
My wife just asked me why I keep messing with that crapapple from Walmart.
I don't know:)
Figured it was pic time!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
let it grow for a while, unchecked to seal that would on the bottom, and to gain strength or carve it

Top Bottom