10 year anniversary - Punica

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if I don’t see it here, I will make this topic just because you really want to know
:eek::D:cool:
Thank you!

Be patient with me
No worries. We are just entering winter. Another 3-4 months befor the first buds on my trees start moving, I am afraid.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I understand they are fairly hardy.

Oooooh, you should be very careful, I think they are not. They are Mediterranean species, they don't grow naturally here in the Loire valley where I think the winters are milder than in northern Germany : I've never ever seen a pomegranate in a garden here.

In the "Côte d'Azur" ("French Riviera"), great, along the southern part of the Atlantic coast, fine, but where temps go below 4-5 ° below zero several days in a row, it's very, very risky...

When they survive a mild winter they'll never be as strong, as healthy as those that grow down south. But if you can keep olive trees in a shallow pot outside where you live, OK.

At least, I think putting them in a cold frame of some kind against a wall might be a good move.

You wouldn't kill a present from your wife for lack of care, would you?... ;)

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well.. eery few years we see -20c. not enough to kill protected olives. But yeah, sustained frost => shelter.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I got an automatic dishwasher.....and I was cool with that.:cool:

Nice that they were focused on what brings you joy.:)

I waved forty years of hand-washing goodbye.:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D
Haha!!!! Just got a dishwasher this year.

Yesterday I was whining to myself about how long it takes me to unload and reload dishes.
🙄.
Came to my senses and slapped myself silly.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Haha!!!! Just got a dishwasher this year.

Yesterday I was whining to myself about how long it takes me to unload and reload dishes.
🙄.
Came to my senses and slapped myself silly.

Hehe! I PREFER hand washing.. but I’m ADHD/OCD..... so I wash dishes if there’s more than 3 sitting in the sink...
😂😂

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happened with this “guy”, leatherback?

These are from spring this year. No recent images. Slow to develop in my garden, as I am still not sure whether it needs to loose more arms..

20200711-R14A3981-376.jpg20200711-R14A3977-372.jpg

Attachments

• 20200711-R14A3977-372.jpg
    20200711-R14A3977-372.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, after looking and looking at the images I was not happy.

This winter:
20201228-R14A4765.jpg20210403-R14A5194-80.jpg

Soo.. Last week after lots of pros and cons and doubt.. I decided to take a saw and reduce it. As it stands now. The top will need a cut at the red line, but for now I want to try and get that side of the trunk to sprout (and at least stay alive) so that is for next year. Now it is a matter of letting it grow out... Roots on the left were very fine and underdeveloped so fertilizing will be on the left for now.

pome.jpg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Late congratulations on your 10th, have you managed to brainwash the wife into bonsai a little bit more in the 2 years that have passed?
Nice tree! Sometimes I really question my choices to be single when I see people getting such groovy gifts from their other halves.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have one in a grow bed, theyre really fast growers. mine isnt fat enough to dig up yet.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Late congratulations on your 10th, have you managed to brainwash the wife into bonsai a little bit more in the 2 years that have passed?
Nice tree! Sometimes I really question my choices to be single when I see people getting such groovy gifts from their other halves.
remember, gift giving goes two ways..

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
remember, gift giving goes two ways..
I know that, it’s always me buying the cool gifts and being giftless myself or getting such wonderful things like a copy of a book I am already reading 😂

Top Bottom