100% pumice air layer?

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Has anyone successfully air layered a tree using only pumice?

If it encourages root growth and gets used often for freshly collected material wouldn’t that point to it being effective for layering?

The smaller particles (1-3mm) seem to retain a lot more water compared to larger pieces, and also drains nicely.

Why/why not?

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would think adding some perlite would be good. A size that matches the pumice. I did this with growing pines and it actually worked well. And mycelium filled the whole container within two years.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done it. It works, just doesn't seem to offer many benefits. As @JackHammer says it dries out really fast and requires more maintenance. I've found that an 80:20 mix of perlite:peat stays light but retains more water and adheres together better. The small diameter pumice can get quite heavy after watering, which may require additional support. Perlite just seems all-around better in that regard, even if you wanted to go perlite-only.

Personally, I've shied away from sphagnum moss because I've had trouble getting it out of the roots later. The other mixes fall out easily if the layer is dipped in a bucket of water.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've found a mix of 50/50 perlite/chopped sphagnum works really well for air layers, and is super easy to clean out before potting up.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone successfully air layered a tree using only pumice?

If it encourages root growth and gets used often for freshly collected material wouldn’t that point to it being effective for layering?

The smaller particles (1-3mm) seem to retain a lot more water compared to larger pieces, and also drains nicely.

Why/why not?
I have used straight pumice with shredded sphagnum moss for airlayers with regular success. I use a smaller particle size that is sifted free of fines.
Variety of species involved, juniper, tskumho cypress, Beech, and black pine to name a few. Currently using the same mix for JWP to try and get them on their own roots. So far the JWP trees are doing well after one season. I expect that it will take two full seasons for successful root formation with the JWP. That was the time frame for the other pines.
I started to use small pumice for cutting propagation of species with sensitive roots. The combination with sphagnum shredded made it easier for me to comb out new roots for radial formation when transplanting successful cuttings. I just expanded the use to air layers and found it useful. This is a picture of the pine I successfully air layered with pumice.IMG_0934.JPG

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes I layered a maple in 💯 % pumice with sphagnum on top. It worked but it was obvious the roots preferred the sphagnum moss. The roots gravitate to the moisture.

If I need to separate the roots from the substrate in the same season I've used akadama (ie.for a root over rock project). It's easier than picking out the moss.

If you are set on using pumice I would take River's Edge's advice and mix in chopped sphagnum.
SmartSelect_20230315_054621_Gallery.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hate it when they only root on one side...
I do too, fortunately this one had roots all the way around, just heavier on one side. By the time I removed the bottom stub in the next go around the root formation was fine. Bonsai simply takes time and often several stages for better results.

Top Bottom