$1000 Scholarship to Study Bonsai

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
California Bonsai Society is proud to announce The Ben Oki Bonsai Scholarship Fund

The California Bonsai Society (CBS) has set up a scholarship fund to honor Ben Oki - a man who devoted most of his life to enjoying and sharing bonsai. Ben was happiest when he was sharing his knowledge or working on a tree. To honor that sharing spirit Ben had we will be making two $1000.00 grants available to anyone in the bonsai community to be used to attend classes, workshops , study with a pro or other bonsai related educational activity. The winners will also need to do something to give back to the bonsai community- such as a club demo or on-line video showing what you learned, or some other method of giving back to the community. To apply, the applicant should send an email to

CaliforniaBonsaiSociety123@earthlink.net

In that email they should explain what they intend to do with the money to improve their bonsai skills and what they intend to and will commit to doing to give back to the bonsai community. Be creative.

Applicants who receive scholarships agree that in return for these funds within 15 days of completing class etc. they will provide CBS photos and a short write up of what they did with the funds to improve their bonsai skills that will be published on our website and in our newsletter. They will also have to come up with and complete a way of giving back to the community and commit to doing this.

The application period will be from May 1st through May 30th annually with the scholarships awarded on June 15th. Applications will be accepted from anyone in the bonsai community that can deposit a check from a US bank. Awarding of the scholarships will be by decision of a committee of California Bonsai Society Board members after going through all applicants. All committee decisions are final.

Everyone in the bonsai community is encouraged to apply for this chance to expand your own bonsai knowledge and to help contribute to the bonsai community.

Anyone interested in contributing to the scholarship fund as a way to honor Ben and to help promote bonsai is more than welcome to contact Robert Pressler -President of The California Bonsai Society at the above email. We are a privately funded 501c3 corporation so any contributions may be tax deductible.

Please feel free to share this far and wide.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
bump. I appreciate that CBS does this and someone needs to take advantage of it!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are there examples of how people have given back to the community? I'm certainly in the demographic, but that's the part I'm unclear on.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are there examples of how people have given back to the community? I'm certainly in the demographic, but that's the part I'm unclear on.
When you are a member of a club you can coach the lessers, for free. Much like Master Gardener programs in each state make themselves available to neighbors and friends to spread knowledge learned in the program. Not do-gooder propagandizing, just helping with problem-solving, best practices, plant choices, generally helping people who need advice on how to do or how to avoid something in the landscape, but don't have access to professional help. All of which is what we do here, too, you can do that within a club for bonsai.

Local gardening clubs of all stripes are always in need of speakers for monthly meetings and a doing a demo is always welcome, too. There are always yearly charity fund raiser auctions for good causes where you can donate a workshop for 1 or 6 or 8 people. You connect with a local gardening shop to arrange for them to donate the plants, wire, pots, bonsai mix, and do the workshop in the home, yard, shop or any venue of the winning bidder. You are the anonymous teacher and the garden shop gets the good will advertising. This works to spread the word for bonsai, the art.

Bonsai is mysterious to the uninitiated public who love to see them up close, and especially have a chance to ask questions of an expert, so you can often have a table or two for free at the local art & craft shows if all you do is display an array of bonsai, but without selling. The eye candy draws more people to the sellers without competing. Just ask the organizer. You can hand out info about local clubs and vendors, too.

All these activities are most well when offered for free to all comers, and your head will swell as the public treats you like an important person. You'll feel good about yourself, too. And be giving back. Anyone can do this with a little training in any specialty.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They've done videos of their studies, demo's for local fairs, libraries, done demo's for clubs, sponsored a club membership use your imagination it just needs to be something that gives a little back to the bonsai community. And everything Forsoothe! said above.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Today is the last day to get those applications in. Deadline is 11:59pm Pacific time.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
California Bonsai Society is thrilled to announce the winners of the 2021 annual Ben Oki Scholarship. Tom Ross of Michigan and Seth Nelson formerly of Florida now of Nagoya Japan of each the recipients of $1000.00 to study bonsai and each have committed to give back to the bonsai community by sharing what they learn.

We want to thank each and every person who applied and encourage them and anyone wanting to increase their bonsai knowledge and give back to the community to apply again

next year.

Each year the California Bonsai Society gives out two $1000 scholarships in Ben Oki’s name to study bonsai which is funded by generous donations. If you are interested in helping to insure this program continues well into the future and wish to make a donation please contact Robert Pressler , President of the California Bonsai Society through our website www.CaliforniaBonsaiSociety.com We are a 501©3 corporation so your donations may be tax deductible.

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Tom Ross of Michigan and Seth Nelson formerly of Florida now of Nagoya Japan of each the recipients of $1000.00 to study bonsai and each have committed to give back to the bonsai community by sharing what they learn.
Are you able to share what they applied to use the money for? I'm curious because I'm interested in applying at some point in the future if the fund continues.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are you able to share what they applied to use the money for? I'm curious because I'm interested in applying at some point in the future if the fund continues.
One is going to use it for study with Bjorn and the other is an apprentice studying in Japan and will use it for expenses and trees he can work on that don't belong to his teacher

Top Bottom