11th floor Common Juniper

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Today I spent playing with some maples, taking pics for records.

But my eyes finished looking at this Common Juniper. So took a picture and want to share it.

In the tread of "Dustbin diving" I pictured my funny little stick J.C. and mentioned it served as a training tree. It's this one for which it works.
The tree is very young in bonsai
service...Please do not ask how young.

... as collected and potted:
Juniperus%20comm.%202%202015%2001.jpg

...here is the set of pics, played with an
intensions. But couldn't be followed, found some trunk movement under the soil...
juniperus%20communis%202%202015%20z%C3%A1mysel.jpg

..repotted to the first growing pot few weeks ago and growing..2016_0422_10195800.jpg

This is still very raw tree, now it will relax at least till the fall. The pot is a little bit oversized and deeper, but it's for growing and junipers like deeper soils.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks very good man, good progress. I have not much knowlegde about shari but it's kind of straight (perhaps even distracting). Maybe it needs to get old / natural looking or tapered.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you, I hope this is just a beginning. The tree was collected from the skier slope. The original top was damaged by skiers.
Shari - when I inspected it, I found the dead vein copyright the trunk lines. So I only revealed and cleaned it. I hope it'll improve with age and separation and thickening of live veins.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The result of the styling far surpasses the Virt.

Well done!

Get that last branch sorted out and you will have yourself something promising to move forward with!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you both, guys.

vaibatron, which last branch do you mean? Could you please write more?

And sth more about the tree, sth that is maybe not visible from the picture. The present top was created from the highest branch. It might be just temporary solution. There' s a lot of new growth right below the top jin, that came out of the old wood last year. I will watch it and consider as a base of new top. The lowest right branch was shaped to the rear because the tree was empty from the rear. But there're some new branches appearing in the rear. Now I think all the branches are needed to support the strength and health temporarily.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The apex! Once it's grown a bit then wire it to fill the gap on the right.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, yes, it's filling nicely, left undisturbed this year as I promised myself. I've got a respect for this species. The growth is pretty strong, but the thickening of branches is slower, so it can live with wires on for 1-2 more years...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dig these 11th floor posts!

Nice!

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree is well established in the pot, so today I wanted to play with deadwood, but my Ferm® die grinder stopped working after three years... Made some changes with hand carving tools.
Also it was re-wired , the tree grew pretty good this season , the temporary "top" branch was bent back as a rear branch and new top branch selected from the top part of tree. It looks like a step back, needs to grow and fill in. Some light pruning of branches (3 -> 2) done too.
2016_1212_13500100.jpg

I added two little common junipers to my collection. Here they are, wired and bent each for 1,90 €... HBR repotting next spring. I simply love these prickly things.
2016_1212_13454000.jpg

2016_1212_13464900.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looking good!
cool progression i like te little ones as wel.

love to see a picture from the back as well kinda looks 2D
and the Jin below the third branch kinda distracts me

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
looking good!
cool progression i like te little ones as wel.

love to see a picture from the back as well kinda looks 2D
and the Jin below the third branch kinda distracts me
Thank you, the little ones are for fun. The collected one...is a fight little bit.
The jin will probably go, will be
obscured by foliage.

I see your 2D point and it's reinforced by too long main branches. They need to be shortened when it's safe and some growth is awaited to fill upper front and rear parts. I'll see within two
years...

Here's a rear and a birds eye views.

2016_1213_10381200.jpg

2016_1213_10354700.jpg

Attachments

• 2016_1213_10354700.jpg
    2016_1213_10354700.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 0

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ah nice now the image is complete !!!
no further comments good Job! :D
Thanks much, but with this notoriously known species I hope it's just a beginning and the story will continue. Challenging...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i would call this tree The deer on The bird eye photo the jins look like the horns from a deer lol

maybe even with only the top growth i see a cool literati as well

and now i look at it again the seccond branch on the right goes up and then down i think if this was my tree i would bother me eventualy

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
...and now i look at it again the seccond branch on the right goes up and then down i think if this was my tree i would bother me eventualy
Very good point, thank you. Well I'll see. For now I think it looks different, maybe interesting. For the future...some young shoots are present at the armpit of that branch... When the time comes and I'm sure it will not kill the branch I might consider replacing it.

Top Bottom