11th Floor Shohin thread

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice great color amd lovely tree!
Mine started to yellow now too
When the needles of my larch are gone i got to remove the wire and rewire it in januari

The climate at your mom's place is better in winter?
Thanks, Dennis. No the climate is not better, they just leave my balcony to be mulched in the garden. 100% success in overwintering, no problem with trees that are on the brink of their natural distribution - mulberries, cedar of libani etc.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How does wind and sun affect your trees being so high up? im only on the first floor of a small 3 level block but my hornbeams, beeches, trident tend to suffer the most from wind and sun burn, which looks like this on the hornbeam
22555163_1519650581433311_7568884026942740087_n.jpg

you get these issues?
Well, I don't know. They're in 100% inorganic soil watered every day if the days are warm or hot. The balconies face to the East.
I used to have some issues with maples, but found a better place for them - the balconies have two side walls...and some broadleaves like being sited right next to the walls. So yes, less Sun and some windbreakers.:) But it sometimes happens esp. if the weather is too hot and windy for longer period. When it happens in good time of season, some leaves can be replaced.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, I don't know. They're in 100% inorganic soil watered every day if the days are warm or hot. The balconies face to the East.
I used to have some issues with maples, but found a better place for them - the balconies have two side walls...and some broadleaves like being sited right next to the walls. So yes, less Sun and some windbreakers.:) But it sometimes happens esp. if the weather is too hot and windy for longer period. When it happens in good time of season, some leaves can be replaced.
ah ok, im facing south, my balcony is a little hot box in summer. yeh was planning to try my hornbeams beside a shady wall next season.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This Harland boxwood had some issues in spring, shortly after repotting. Noticing it soon enough I couldn't diagnose what was going on - watering or mites? So I sprayed and put it outside and everything improved, the first tree that told no no to indoor groving.

Then it grew fine, did some pruning... found many flower buds set for next spring.

But with the first frosts coming the tree was put in the cold room (actually 10℃) and look what's going on...
2017_1124_14250600.jpg

2017_1124_14254500.jpg
What do you think will follow? I expect the flowers fading and going to dormancy with decreasing temperatures, or should I worry?

BTW the flowers smell good.:)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good day all,
All the trees shared here spent winter fine and are waking up. But...
I don't know where to post these, but one of them will be kept small. Here are two of my portulacarias recently repotted. Posting just to show you funky pots I picked for them ?.
First time I saw the pots I thought they were terrible and what a tree they could suit... Going to repot these two I ordered the pots... My idea was to pair the trees with pots that wear these african tribal colours, Pa-pao Extra glaze series they are called.

The first one is from a cutting brought from Italy some five years ago. The second consists of two cutting grown trees grown at my wife's office and just rescued from potting mix and are potted the way to make a clump/multitrunk.
portulacaria 1 2018 01.jpg
portulacaria 2 2018 01.jpg
...and pot details
portulacaria 1 2018 02.jpg
portulacaria 2 2018 02.jpg
I think I like them. Sorry for shades from the afternoon sun. Will play with movements of the trunks after they are established well.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi @sorce ,
I'm responding to your "Boxwood for real" thread here.
This is my english boxwood, another shohin adept, has been sitting on my shelf only for one year.
The tree comes from cuttings striken by my mom few years ago, all torture you can see was done in one go this time last year - bare rooted, root pruned, potted and wired...left alone for the rest of season.
buxus sempervirens shohin 1 2018 1.jpg

...see yellow-white edges of last year leaves? This one sits on a shelf facing east, protected from the Sun from the south. My mom has some in ground, no pale edges and some potted with the same symptoms?, both regardless sun exposure. I'll keep my eye on this this year.
buxus sempervirens shohin 1 2018 3.jpg
Sorry for not so good pics taken in the evening.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OMG, these are so cute. I am trying to be good and not do anything too tiny right away but ... they are some of my favorites. I have a ton of little mame pots waiting to be matched with trees once we have finished moving. I'm really bored today with all this rain. I may have to be bad and go shopping for something to maim into mame to amuse myself. Nice thread!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OMG, these are so cute. I am trying to be good and not do anything too tiny right away but ... they are some of my favorites. I have a ton of little mame pots waiting to be matched with trees once we have finished moving. I'm really bored today with all this rain. I may have to be bad and go shopping for something to maim into mame to amuse myself. Nice thread!
Thank you very much, I'm pleased you like them and it helps me to continue struggling with space limits on my balconies.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd like to add a couple of new trees that will be developed for shohin size.
First two come from chopped malsai,
ch. liguster
DSCF4718.jpg
and duranta.
DSCF4715.jpg

This is a tree grown for a few years from a woody cutting... carmona
DSCF4719.jpg

And this Operculicarya comes from a root cutting, has been grown only for two seasons to get her here.
DSCF4714.jpg
I apologize, some pots are horrible, just for growing purposes.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah and two more...
zanthoxylum, after some 5 years of growing in my bedroom.
DSCF4716.jpg

... and Poinsettia bought by my wife 2 years ago, you know that 1.60€ Christmas star, a rooted cutting with 5 red leaves.
DSCF4717.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice little trees !
Would love to see an update on the other tree's in this thread
Thank you for kind words and your interest, will do it in spring. A larch, cork elm and many more are left to grow wild to get some girth, I won't prune before winter. Some will be slightly restyled... So in spring after repotting, pruning and waking up. Some of them have spent 3 years without repotting with no harm...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking forward to spring 2019 then !
The larch is one of my favs in this thread its similair styled as my larch so we got great taste???

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice trees. The Operculicarya is a nice one. When it develops zones of reverse taper, ignore those who tell you it is a problem. The Operculicarya naturally do this, all will eventually have reverse taper. It's their nature. I had one many years, then gave it away. I really like that with a larger tree, you can leave it go 4 months without water and it will pick up growing normally when you start watering again. Yours is a bit small to dry out for that long, but bigger ones are very drought tolerant.

Duranta, I would be very interested if you were able to get it to flower, hopefully it will flower for you at that small a size.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice trees. The Operculicarya is a nice one. When it develops zones of reverse taper, ignore those who tell you it is a problem. The Operculicarya naturally do this, all will eventually have reverse taper. It's their nature. I had one many years, then gave it away. I really like that with a larger tree, you can leave it go 4 months without water and it will pick up growing normally when you start watering again. Yours is a bit small to dry out for that long, but bigger ones are very drought tolerant.

Duranta, I would be very interested if you were able to get it to flower, hopefully it will flower for you at that small a size.
Thank you. Operculicaria? This is after 2 years of development from a root cutting, so I'm really surprised how vigorous growers they are. Yes, operculicaria really does it, some of mine already show some reverse taper, no all trees can be expected to follow bonsai guidelines. And concerning watering, that's a good info. I'll have to try it some time. In a season I water them just like the rest of my trees and in winter, well, I know they don't need water, but I'm worried and I do water once a week so far with no ill effect thanks to modern substrates.

Aand no flowers seen on my duranta trees. Having one small and one bigger I still wait to see flowers, but apparently there is more reasons why they do not flower here, I guess age, positioning, maybe pruning. I'll share it and show pics if I figure it out and get some.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice day so I took few pictures.

Little cotoneaster
This tree was pruned after flowering and then left to grow. I bet on fruit this year. Some structural pruning and repotting after 3 years next spring.
DSCF4745.jpg
DSCF4746.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When taking pictures, captured the little larch, why not.
Two flushes of growth were pinched and the third one left to extend. Out of shape for now.
DSCF4748.jpg

Next spring I'm gonna prune it back to some of these interior buds. Lots of them to pick some...
DSCF4753.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When taking pictures, captured the little larch, why not.
Two flushes of growth were pinched and the third one left to extend. Out of shape for now.
View attachment 210357

Next spring I'm gonna prune it back to some of these interior buds. Lots of them to pick some...
View attachment 210358

Nice it looks very happy!

Top Bottom