11th Floor Shohin thread

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Told myself to make this thread to add and share some of my smallest...one in a time and their development.
Cork bark elm, spent some time to find the best front and do the cuts to remove reverse taper...
...as acquired in 2015:
004.jpg

...now before the first haircut:
2017_0324_14015100.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Little larch
I don't know the species, this seedling was bought maybe some 10 years ago, pot grown.
Here's the oldest picture I have, taken in 2015:
2015 larix decidua compacta 1.jpg

I had a feeling it led nowhere, so chopped the trunk to the lowest usable branch to try to create something small and more interesting. Here's she, repotted a week ago in her sexiest clothes:
2017_0324_13572800.jpg

Dennis, this reminds me the beginning of yours...

Of course any criticism and ideas how to improve them are appreciated.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Harland boxwood, two years in development, only clip & grow has been needed so far:
...2015, brought from a shop as their only one HB...
buxus harlandii 2015 1 02.jpg

...spring 2017 in a new pot:
buxus harlandii 2017 1 01.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So... where does the 11th floor come in? Are you growing these on your balcony?

Better yet... do you own an 11 story apartment building and you live on the penthouse on the 11th floor? And you took the roof and turned it into your own private Japanese garden?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second Vin. The unkown larch is in a wicked pot. Well done up there

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fun little trees!! I like them.
Little larch
I don't know the species, this seedling was bought maybe some 10 years ago, pot grown.
Here's the oldest picture I have, taken in 2015:
View attachment 138030

I had a feeling it led nowhere, so chopped the trunk to the lowest usable branch to try to create something small and more interesting. Here's she, repotted a week ago in her sexiest clothes:
View attachment 138029

Dennis, this reminds me the beginning of yours...

Of course any criticism and ideas how to improve them are appreciated.

I really like what you did here. However, I wonder if the shoot that goes back to the viewers right could be moved flowing left? I like the deadwork you have done, but feel that branch mutes it somewhat. It seems to make it "feel small", like a crowded photograph. I interrupts the visual flow up the trunk and to the left. I think I would design it with all the growth predominately growing to the viewers left.

Keep thinking small, and the tree will appear older and larger.:) Great lil' Larch!!:D:D:D

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So... where does the 11th floor come in? Are you growing these on your balcony?

Better yet... do you own an 11 story apartment building and you live on the penthouse on the 11th floor? And you took the roof and turned it into your own private Japanese garden?
Thank you all for interest and kind worlds.

Yes, my two balconies and indoor window sills are my growing grounds. I hope temporarily.

I've got a chance to grow in the ground only in my mother's garden that is 70 km west of where I live. Had there some trees for two years in a flower bed, but too close each other. Few weeks ago I cultivated a better piece of ground in her garden and planted that trees there where they can grow free and tall.

I hope for better future. Many possibilities, house and bonsai / appartment, garden and travelling...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the all the trees but that pot in the last picture that your Harlandi is in is killer!
Thank you I am pleased you like this pairing. What would you say if I told you that the pot is frost proof and was 9,50 €?

...some promo if I can. We have few potters in our country getting well known here in Europe. But this pot comes from my favourite collection called Pa-pao by potter Ivan Štefanovič - a former president of our national bonsai federation. His collection was awarded at WBC few years ago.
gold-medal-pot.jpg

Sorry, found a picture only in Slovak. Really best value for money, all shapes, sizes, colours, colour combinations. They are hand finished, so every piece is an original.
https://www.google.sk/search?site=w...0j35i39k1j0i8i30k1j0i30k1.HftMDu1x2TE#imgrc=_

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fun little trees!! I like them.

I really like what you did here. However, I wonder if the shoot that goes back to the viewers right could be moved flowing left? I like the deadwork you have done, but feel that branch mutes it somewhat. It seems to make it "feel small", like a crowded photograph. I interrupts the visual flow up the trunk and to the left. I think I would design it with all the growth predominately growing to the viewers left.

Keep thinking small, and the tree will appear older and larger.:) Great lil' Larch!!:D:D:D
Thank you Lance. Yes it's a very young tree and has a lot of time and space to develop.
I think I might have not found her best front when potting. I have to admit she looks flat, but isn't. Here's one mobilePicture, that shows her 30-45° CCW and intended more upright position. What would you say? She has to grow and show me her best.
IMAG1136.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what would suck....

If you forgot to water one morning....

So you went back home....

Only to find the elevator is shut down.

Bogus!

Love them Levens.

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This linden used to stay in the third line on my shelf, somehow out of interest. The tree was bought at a garden center long 15 years ago. With an ugly graft that I tried to solve making an ugly uro... Checking it after winter I found the pot cracked and repotted it to this smaller pot...in full leaves... I'll have to find better way how to finalize the uro.
2017_0511_09364500.jpg

Top Bottom