$12 Ficus Retusa Pre-Bonsai

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So today I wanted to share this tiger bark with you. I was at a local bonsai place a few weeks ago to get supplies.

I wasn't there for another tree but as it stands I did leave with one. I browsed around was going to leave and then saw this one walking out and I liked it, idk why but I did and when he said I could have it for 12 bucks I had to take it :)

Here it is before I repotted it:
20170411_074141.jpg

Here it is after a repot and light trim:
20170422_080439.jpg

I kept it in a plastic pot for now. This was done 2 weeks ago and it's doing great. budding all over.

Input is welcome :)

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Anthony Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that while working today (multitask!)

I was just looking at the pic I posted as was thinking to take this branch back as such:

ficus.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Anthony Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that while working today (multitask!)

I was just looking at the pic I posted as was thinking to take this branch back as such:

View attachment 142872

Nice tree for $12. If you want to develop this tree over the next few years I would leave that branch on as a sacrifice branch. Let it grow untouched for a few years to thicken the lower trunk.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@thomas22 Thank you! I know this one isn't the greatest but for the 12 bucks it's something else to play with. That's why I wasn't going to cut that branch either.

But I almost feel like I might get reverse taper, what do you think from this view of the branch?

20170428_072344.jpg

Top Bottom